We are extremely pleased with the positive customer response at ProMat
Hodgkins, IL (PRWEB) January 21, 2009
ProMat 2009, held at Chicago's McCormick Place on January 12-15, drew a large crowd and featured more than 800 material handling and logistics exhibits. Among the most popular - Sealed Air Automation, where two unique tray forming/packaging/lidding systems were on display for the first time in the U.S. market.
The systems, I-Pack® and Ultipack®, automate the processes of corrugated tray forming, securing items within the tray, and lidding the tray for shipment. Both systems are designed for high volume fulfillment operations and engineered to run 24/7/365.
The difference between the systems is in the approach to securing items within the tray. I-Pack® uses a Height Adjustment Module, which folds the tray to the height of the tallest item in the box. Sealed Air refers to this process as "void reduction." UltiPack® uses a Wedging Module, which inserts a flexible corrugated wedge in the tray to hold items in place. This process is termed "void containment".
"We are extremely pleased with the positive customer response at ProMat," said Sealed Air's Don Liebel. "Customers saw our systems as true packaging automation. Packaging is in an area of the operation that tends to be labor intensive, but now we're giving them a solution."
I-Pack® and Ultipack® benefits fall into three broad categories - operational/engineering, purchasing, and marketing.
Operations and Engineering
1. Systems allow shippers to calculate the exact cost of each shipping unit.
2. Ergonomics - trays are easier to fill than RSC style corrugated boxes.
3. Flexibility - systems are modular and can be integrated with most packaging line configurations.
4. Versatility - customers can customize the design of their shipping units to meet their precise requirements for size, product stabilization/protection, opening style, and other factors.
5. Sustainable packaging - systems are designed to run lightweight corrugated board and eliminate inner packaging materials and sealing tapes.
6. Reliability - engineered for 24/7/365 use and supported by Sealed Air's service team.
7. Systems provide a platform for automation in other areas, including carton coding and print and apply labeling.
8. Systems produce returnable shipping units, ideal for e-commerce fulfillment operations.
9. Elimination of SKUs - corrugated boxes, inner packing materials, and tapes.
10. No WMS reconfiguration necessary.
11. Reduction in transportation costs due to minimizing weight and cube.
1. No capital investment required - customers pay a usage fee only.
2. Customers retain complete control of corrugated purchasing and procurement.
3. Elimination of SKUs.
4. Reduction in corrugated material cost when lighter weight board and smaller sizes are utilized.
Marketing - Consumer Satisfaction
1. Systems produce highly attractive, unique shipping units.
2. Strong tamper evidence characteristics.
3. No scissors or knife is required for opening.
4. Shipping units are very eco friendly - returnable, reusable, recyclable.
5. Catalogs or other inserts can be placed on top of the corrugated wedge with the Ultipack® system.
I-Pack® and Ultipack® can be integrated with all ERP/WMS system software and any warehouse equipment, including conveyors, printers, scales, and sorters. The systems can also operate in stand-alone mode.
About Sealed Air Corporation:
Sealed Air is a leading global innovator and manufacturer of a wide range of packaging and performance-based materials and equipment systems that serve an array of food, industrial, medical, and consumer applications. Operating in 51 countries, Sealed Air's international reach generated revenue of $4.7 billion in 2007. With widely recognized brands such as Bubble Wrap® brand cushioning, Jiffy®) protective mailers, Instapak® foam-in-place systems and Cryovac® packaging technology, Sealed Air continues to identify new trends, foster new markets, and deliver innovative solutions to its customers. For more information, please visit the Sealed Air corporate Web site.