Houston, TX (PRWEB) December 31, 2012
With New Year’s Eve approaching, many people are making their final arrangements for where they will be ringing in the New Year. New Year’s Eve parties are filled with fun, hope, and excitement for what the New Year will bring, but they also can lead to a tragic beginning to the New Year for those who drink too much and get behind the wheel, said Ben Bronston, a Houston attorney who represents the victims of drunk driving accidents.
According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), New Year’s Day, particularly the early morning hours when people are leaving their parties, is the most dangerous time of the year for drunk driving on U.S. roadways. Police across Houston and throughout Texas, as well as along I-10 all the way to the ultimate party town, New Orleans, Louisiana, will be out in force during this time and will be on the lookout for suspected drunk drivers.
The seriousness of drunk driving cannot be overstated, as it has numerous consequences. Not only are drunk drivers putting themselves and their passengers in danger of injury or death, but they are also endangering other drivers who may be acting responsibly. In addition to the potential physical consequences, drunk driving carries a number of legal ramifications.
Nobody wants to start off the year by spending time in jail and having to deal with the costs and frustrations of a DWI, said Ben Bronston, Houston DWI accident attorney. Drunk drivers who get into an accident with other motorists or pedestrians can face civil lawsuits which can cost them tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, he added.
While there is nothing wrong with enjoying an alcoholic beverage at a gathering, there are a number of ways to do it responsibly to ensure that you and your friends and family get home safe, Bronston said. Bronston gave some simple tips to follow to be sure no one ends your night behind bars or in the hospital.
- The first and most important thing to do in planning your night out is to appoint a designated driver.
- If you cannot find someone to be a designated driver plan on calling a cab. It is essential to remember to call for a cab well before you plan to leave your party as New Year’s Eve is one of the busiest nights for cab drivers. Before you go out you should save the number of a local cab company in your phone. Also there are a number of apps for those with smart phones which can be used to hail a cab.
- In Houston METRO will be offering free bus service until 6 a.m. and free light rail service until 2 a.m. for those who may want to avoid the cost of a cab.
- If you have even the slightest doubt about your sobriety do not attempt to drive. Jails are full of people who thought they were sober enough to drive on New Years Eve. It is a simple case of being safe rather than sorry.
If you are hosting a party:
- Be sure to have plenty of food to keep your guests from drinking on an empty stomach.
- Be sure to have non-alcoholic drinks for those in attendance who are designated drivers.
- Be prepared to offer up a spare bedroom or couch to those who aren’t able to get themselves home safely.
- Pay attention to the sobriety of your guests as they plan to leave. If you are concerned about their ability to drive do not let them get behind the wheel.
Ben Bronston is a Houston personal injury attorney who represents the victims of drunk driving accidents. Bronston has more than 20 years of legal experience in civil litigation. He provides assistance for clients in both English and Spanish, to clients from Houston to New Orleans along the I-10 corridor.