Bohemia, NY (PRWEB) May 27, 2013
On May 27, Bay Fastening Systems comments on 5 facts to know about the trucking industry, listed in the Insurance Journal.
Bay Fastening Systems, a distributor of fasteners like the pop rivet to the trucking industry, recaps 5 interesting facts about the trucking industry.
1. Intermodal transportation (trucks, railroads and open carriers) container volumes have increased by 5.9% over the past year, according to findings from the Intermodal Association of North America’s Intermodal Market Trends & Statistics report.
2. According to the article, “Seasonally adjusted (SA) for-hire truck tonnage increased 2.9 percent in January 2013 — up 6.5 percent over the same period last year.”
The article also goes on to say that “In 2012, there were 793,470 drivers of heavy and tractor-trailer trucks employed in the United States, according to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics. The median hourly wage was $19.05 and the mean hourly wage was $19.80 for those drivers. Annually, the median wage in 2012 was $39,620 and the mean wage was $41,190.”
3. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), an estimated 4,659 crashes can be prevented in a year if electronic stability control systems are installed on all tractor trailers. The article also discusses how “run-off-road, rear-end and lane change maneuvers account for 23, 28, and 9 percent of highway accidents, respectively, according to the [NHTSA].”
4. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, 12.5 billion tons of freight was moved by trucks in the US. The contents of the moved goods valued around $10.5 billion. These values are expected to increase over the next 30 years.
5. Fuel and wages accounted for about 62% of the operational costs for trucking companies in 2011.
Bay Fastening Systems representative Anthony Trapani comments on the trucking industry facts. “This is very promising for the economy because the trucking industry is a key indicator as the transport and distribution backbone to U.S. Industry. We distribute the fastening tools & products that hold these trucks together so we are happy to see that the industry is experiencing growth in many areas.”
Bay Fastening Systems is a full service distributor of engineered fastening systems that include blind rivets, pop rivets, drive rivets, solid & semi-tubular rivets, military spec rivets, lock bolts, inserts and specialized installation systems. Founded in 1962, Bay Fastening Systems has become a leader in the fasteners industry through its continuing commitment to quality service, deep product knowledge and consultation, and an easy ordering process.