Toshiba's Portege M700 Tablet PC provides mobile professionals with an exceptionally intuitive Tablet PC to meet their mobile computing needs
IRVINE, Calif. (PRWEB) December 10, 2007
As the ninth generation of Toshiba's innovative Tablet PC product line, the Portege M700 series offers enhanced versatility, performance and productivity to attend to the needs of on-the-go professionals, "corridor warriors," educators and students.
"Toshiba's Portege M700 Tablet PC provides mobile professionals with an exceptionally intuitive Tablet PC to meet their mobile computing needs," said Jeff Barney, vice president of marketing, Digital Products Division, Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. "Building upon many years of successful Toshiba Tablet PC platforms, the Portege M700 incorporates our customer's most requested features resulting in Toshiba's most powerful and versatile Tablet PC to date."
As Toshiba's first Tablet PC with a touch screen supporting both fingertip input capabilities and traditional pen-based input, Toshiba's Portege M700 empowers users with a more flexible and convenient Tablet PC computing experience. The Portege M700 detects the presence of a digital pen or a user's fingertip, automatically switching between the different input methods, with the digital pen given priority when both inputs are simultaneously detected.
The Portege M700 series incorporates an LED backlit display with anti-glare coating, which allows Toshiba's new Tablet PC to be viewed in a wide range of environments both indoors and outdoors. The LED backlit display produces superb image quality and rich color saturation indoors. While outdoors the anti-glare display delivers a clear, easy-to-view image.
The resolution offered by the widescreen 12.1-inch WXGA display of Toshiba's Portege M700 yields 30 percent more detail than a standard 12.1-inch XGA display. This affords users enhanced clarity for viewing multimedia files and multiple page documents side by side. The Portege M700 Tablet PC display mirrors the layout of a standard sheet of paper when in portrait mode to give users a familiar writing workspace.
The Portege M700 series uses high-performance Intel(R) Centrino Pro processor(1) technology, including Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processors(2), Intel(R) 965 Express chipset, Intel(R) Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN supporting draft 802.11n(3), and Intel(R) Active Management Technology (AMT 2.6). Intel's AMT 2.6 delivers the ability to remotely deploy systems and supply proactive security and maintenance measures. This provides the network manager better control of mobile computing assets to minimize user downtime and provide greater efficiency at the office of when traveling.
The Ultra SlimBay(R) on the Portege M700 gives users the flexibility to change the configuration of the Tablet PC to adjust to their individual user needs. With support for an internal optical drive, second hard drive or weight saver, the Ultra SlimBay helps eliminate the bulk and inconvenience of carrying additional external components. The Portege M700 comes with a DVD SuperMulti Drive(4) and weight saver as part of the standard configuration.
To simplify the transition from notebook computer to Tablet PC, the Portege M700 design incorporates an improved hinge and display guide/peg mechanism as well as latch-less design to provide greater ease of use and industry leading stability. This combination of features ensures the display is securely locked into position in both notebook and Tablet PC mode.
The inclusion of the latch-less design enables Toshiba to cleanly integrate a Webcam and microphone on the bezel of the Portege M700. The 1.3 megapixel Webcam provides mobile professionals the flexibility to communicate face-to-face with colleagues, co-workers and loved ones when out of the office or traveling. The Portege M700's Webcam can take still photos, record video clips and record audio notes.
Featuring the full suite of Toshiba's third-generation EasyGuard(TM) technology(5), the Portege M700 brings a more reliable and secure mobile computing experience that includes:
-- HDD Protection--Because the hard disk drive (HDD) is one of the most critical Tablet PC components and that a dropped Tablet PC rarely falls in a single linear direction, Toshiba implemented the 3D accelerometer. This mechanism detects the acceleration caused by a sudden fall from multiple directions. The 3D accelerometer helps guard the HDD against awkward accidental drops, including a spinning, falling Tablet PC, by rapidly removing the HDD head from between the HDD platters, better protecting the Portege M700 in all three rotational dimensions of pitch, roll and yaw.
-- Shock Absorbing Design(6)--The Portege M700 Tablet PC features enhanced protection zones that run along all sides of the Tablet PC to help the Portege M700 better withstand accidental drops. Toshiba also placed reinforced ribs within the rounded edges of the display to better protect critical components including the display and inverter by dissipating energy resulting from accidental bumps or drops. For further durability, Toshiba encased the display with magnesium alloy, a lightweight, rugged material utilized in structural, automotive, industrial and aerospace manufacturing.
-- Spill Resistant Keyboard(7)--Toshiba improved its spill resistant keyboard to help protect against accidental spills of water and other liquids, including soda and coffee with cream and sugar. This enhanced feature affords users time to save work and shut down the system in the event of an accidental spill -- helping to prevent the loss of data.
Additional information about Toshiba's EasyGuard technology is available at http://www.EasyGuard.Toshiba.com
In addition to providing a reliable and secure mobile computing experience, Toshiba has incorporated several value-added features, including two "Sleep-and- Charge" USB ports. These ports allow users to charge compatible electronic devices, such as select cell phones or MP3 players whether the system is on or off. The Sleep and Charge USB ports eliminate the bulk and inconvenience of carrying extra chargers to recharge mobile devices. Toshiba's Portege M700 is compatible with several Portege M400 accessories including: Express Port Replicator, digital pen, reserve pen, battery and secondary battery.
The following configurations demonstrate the various specifications and price options available within the Portege M700 Series:
The Portege M700 series is available with a three year standard, limited warranty(12), which includes carry-in support at Authorized Service Providers throughout the country; or customers may utilize any of the 4,460 UPS Stores and Mail Boxes Etc. locations nationwide for packaging and delivery of the product to a centralized depot for prompt turnaround service. Customers can also choose to upgrade the Portege M700's service plans, including up to four years of extended warranty coverage.
All new Toshiba notebooks and Tablet PCs are RoHS-compatible(13), effectively reducing the environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances. This coupled with a mercury-free LED backlit display has earned Toshiba's Portege M700 the Green Electronics Council's Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) gold status. To achieve this status, the Portege M700 had to pass a strict set of criteria created to reduce the impact electronics have on the environment. The Portege M700 is Toshiba's sixth mobile computing solutions to earn the EPEAT gold status.
Toshiba also offers a computer trade-in and recycling program to reduce environmental impact and promote efficient utilization of resources. All Toshiba computers qualify for free recycling, while non-Toshiba computers and other consumer electronic products can be recycled for a small fee. For more information please visit: http://www.reuse.toshiba.com
About Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. (TAIS)
Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., TAIS is comprised of four business units: Digital Products Division, Imaging Systems Division, Storage Device Division, and Telecommunication Systems Division. Together, these divisions provide mobile products and solutions, including industry leading portable computers; projectors; imaging products for the security, medical and manufacturing markets; storage products for automotive, computer and consumer electronics applications; and telephony equipment and associated applications.
TAIS provides sales, marketing and services for its wide range of information products in the United States and Latin America. TAIS is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation, which is a global leader in high technology and integrated manufacturing of electrical and electronic components, products and systems, as well as major infrastructure systems. Toshiba has more than 191,000 employees worldwide and annual sales of over US $60 billion (FY2006). For more information on Toshiba's leading innovations, visit the company's Web site at http://www.toshiba.com.
1. Processor. CPU performance may vary. See Processor Legal Footnote at http://www.info.toshiba.com
2. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. Intel(R) Dual Core Technology is a new technology designed to deliver improved performance to the notebook PC. Performance or compatibility may vary. For more information on Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, visit: http://www.intel.com/core2duo/.
3. Draft N Performance Disclaimer. The Intel(R) Wireless Wi-Fi(R) Link 4965AGN (802.11a/g/n) adapter is based on a draft release version of the IEEE 802.11n specification, also known as "Draft-N", which may not be compatible with, or support all features (e.g., security) of, certain Wi-Fi(R) equipment.
4. Optical Drive. Copy protection technology may prevent or limit recording or viewing of certain optical media (e.g., CD or DVD).
5. EasyGuard. Toshiba EasyGuard(TM) technology comprises a number of features some of which may or may not be available on a particular Toshiba notebook depending on the model selected. See http://www.easyguard.toshiba.com for detailed information.
6. Shock Protection. Toshiba's shock absorption technology provides higher impact protection for your system as compared to Toshiba systems without similar shock protection features based on Toshiba's drop tests. Toshiba's standard limited warranty terms and limitations apply. Visit http://www.warranty.toshiba.com for details.
7. Spill-Resistant Keyboard. Under Toshiba testing conditions, the spill-resistant keyboard delayed the time for a water spill to reach the computer's main board to allow more time to properly close down the machine. Toshiba's standard limited warranty terms and limitations apply. Visit http://www.warranty.toshiba.com for details.
8. Price. Reseller prices may vary. ESUP means "Estimated Single Unit Price."
9. Memory. Memory size may vary. See Memory Legal Footnote at http://www.info.toshiba.com.
10. Hard Disk Drive Capacity. Hard drive capacity may vary. 1 Gigabyte (GB) means 10 to the 9th = 1,000,000,000 bytes using powers of 10. See Hard Disk Drive Capacity Legal Footnote at http://www.info.toshiba.com
11. Graphics. GPU performance may vary. See Graphics Legal Footnote at http://www.info.toshiba.com
12. Warranty. The terms and conditions of Toshiba's standard limited warranty, extended warranty and service upgrade terms and conditions are available at http://www.warranty.toshiba.com.
13. RoHS This product is compatible with European Union Directive 2002/95/EC. See RoHS legal footnote at http://www.info.toshiba.com
(C) 2007 Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. All product, service and company names are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of their respective owners. Information including without limitation product prices, specifications, availability, content of services, and contact information is subject to change without notice.