Much attention on power consumption has focused on the data center, but PC power consumption in an organization can also be significant
Scottsdale, AZ (PRWEB) March 2, 2010
With the budget pressures of today’s economic environment, more organizations are realizing that their greatest opportunity to reduce utility costs lies in more efficient power management across their IT environments. According to Gartner research, organizations actively employing some form of IT power management can expect to save $43,000 dollars per year, compared with an unmanaged 2,500-PC organization.¹ The challenge for many organizations is that IT environments are extremely complex and power management policies can be burdensome if they are not centralized or enforced.
To help enterprises address the growing concern of energy consumption costs, Lumension, the global leader in endpoint management and security, today introduced Enhanced Power Management capabilities with distributed Wake-On-LAN directly added as core functionality to the Lumension® Endpoint Management and Security Suite.
“Much attention on power consumption has focused on the data center, but PC power consumption in an organization can also be significant,” said Charles Smulders, managing vice president at Gartner. “IT organizations should recognize that the greatest savings come from employing power management features not from switching off and unplugging PCs. They should investigate the power management capabilities of their PC life cycle management tools and PC power management point solutions to implement these policies and to better support management activities.”
Lumension’s Wake-On-LAN functionality delivers a distributed relay-based Wake–on-LAN architecture that provides IT managers with full schedule control over maintenance windows enabling optimized remote management and configuration of endpoints during both business hours and evening/ weekend downtime. IT organizations can now automatically “wake up” powered down machines during off hours, apply all required patches and policies and then allow the affected machines to power down according to centrally managed power policies. This capability helps IT to eliminate blind spots in ongoing network maintenance and ensures that offline machines receive critical system updates, while not negatively impacting business productivity.
Lumension® Content Wizard enables organizations to centralize and simplify the creation and deployment of endpoint power management policies. By deploying an enterprise-wide endpoint power management policy, companies can reduce their overall power consumption and carbon footprint. Enhanced power reporting capabilities will also be added to help IT departments demonstrate power and carbon footprint savings across all monitored endpoints.
“Today, more than ever, organizations are looking for ways to operate more efficiently, but they are unable to take full advantage of energy cost savings across their PCs when power management is not centralized or easily enforced,” explains Paul Zimski, vice president of solution marketing, Lumension. “This oftentimes results in a struggle between security and operations as proponents of system maintenance and cost optimization duke it out. Through Lumension’s Enhanced Power Management Capabilities, organizations can now better optimize IT energy efficiency by dramatically reducing power consumption while reducing overall IT security risk.”
Key Benefits of Enhanced Lumension Power Management Capabilities Include:
- Centralized Endpoint Power Management Policy Wizard: Allows organizations to create and centrally manage “Green” policies across complex environments while dramatically reducing power and carbon consumption, disruption to user productivity, or additional costs for power-management point products.
- Hours of Operation Maintenance Windows: Improves IT operational energy efficiency and business productivity by automatically waking up offline machines for maintenance and system updates during off-peak hours.
- Enhanced Wake-on-LAN: “Wake Now”: Organizations can improve their security posture with Lumension’s promotable agent architecture which allows any agent to be easily converted and act as a relay to broadcast WOL packages throughout your IT environment. Devices can be commanded to “wake up” at any given time to deploy highly critical patches or urgent software updates.
- Power Consumption Reporting Functionality: Organizations will be able to monetize the effect of the power management policies with integrated power savings reports. These reports can be used to take advantage of potential power savings rebates, available from local power management companies or for showing a reduction in the overall carbon footprint.
Through these new capabilities, Lumension Endpoint Management and Security Suite helps IT organizations optimize energy consumption and costs, improve business productivity and simultaneously reduce IT risk across their endpoint environment.
Lumension Enhanced Power Management Capabilities will be demonstrated at RSA 2010, booth 923 from March 1-4, 2010 in San Francisco, CA.
About Lumension Security, Inc.
Lumension Security, Inc., a global leader in endpoint management and security, develops, integrates and markets security software solutions that help businesses protect their vital information and manage critical risk across network and endpoint assets. Lumension enables more than 5,100 customers worldwide to achieve optimal security and IT success by delivering a proven and award-winning solution portfolio that includes Vulnerability Management, Endpoint Protection, Data Protection, Antivirus and Reporting and Compliance offerings. Lumension is known for providing world-class customer support and services 24x7, 365 days a year. Headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, Lumension has operations worldwide, including Virginia, Texas, Utah, Florida, Ireland, Luxembourg, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Singapore. Lumension: IT Secured. Success Optimized.™ More information can be found at lumension.com.
Lumension, the Lumension logo, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lumension Security, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
1. Gartner Research, PC Power Management Activation Leads to Significant Power and Cost Savings, January 2009