Cambridge, MA (PRWEB) December 22, 2010
PowerSteering Software, the leading provider of enterprise project portfolio management (PPM) solutions for business PMOs, today announced the availability of its latest product release, PowerSteering 8.2.
Many PPM systems ultimately fail to deliver the anticipated business benefit because their complexity impedes user adoption. Summarizing the experiences of more than 50 PPM software users it interviewed, Forrester Research, Inc. concluded, “The most obvious and arguably the most common reason for PPM implementation failure is that the intended audience isn’t using the tool properly or at all, allowing important decisions and updates to be made outside the tool in hallway conversations and untraceable spreadsheets.”* PowerSteering 8.2 addresses this adoption challenge by enabling customers to streamline their portfolio governance, resource planning, and project management processes without burdening users with extraneous functionality, information, or data entry.
The dozens of enhancements included in the release incorporate ideas from the more than 140 global clients that rely on PowerSteering to improve the oversight and execution of their strategic programs and initiatives. The release augmented the capabilities of PowerSteering’s Report Wizard, introducing expanded data sources, filtering, scheduling, and chart options; and Project Central, allowing for more powerful sorting, bulk editing, and display control in PowerSteering’s integrated workspace for project and resource planning. Other highlights of PowerSteering 8.2 include:
- Field Governance – Provides administrators complete control over where fields appear on a page, when they are viewable and editable, and by whom. Fields may be user-, project-, phase- or business-unit specific so users only see information that is important to them, and only at times when the information is relevant. This unmatched level of flexibility promotes both adoption and data integrity while accommodating a diverse range of user needs.
- Role-based Approvals – For gated projects and work that requires approval before a user is allowed to proceed to the next phase, “approver” assignments can be made automatically based on roles defined within the project template. So if certain project gates require approval from a Resource Manager, approvals for those gates will be automatically assigned to the designated Resource Manager role, greatly streamlining project planning while reducing the likelihood of errors that could violate corporate governance policies.
- PowerPoint Builder – Any report can be exported to PowerPoint, and templates can be readily configured by users to create custom-formatted, multi-slide decks at a click. This reduces the time needed to create presentations that typically involve tedious compiling and manual formatting. Unlike some competitor’s products, PowerSteering’s PowerPoint Builder is completely integrated, and does not require desktop add-ons or third party plug-ins.
- Proxy User – Users can assign their permissions to other users to act on their behalf within PowerSteering, at any time. This lets users delegate responsibility as they might elsewhere in the workplace to accommodate schedules, workloads, and priorities, while maintaining a complete audit trail in support of corporate governance.
“PowerSteering 8.2 continues our strategy of maintaining a regular schedule of point releases that advance the end-user experience” commented Stephen Sharp, CEO of PowerSteering Software. “Our focus on flexibility, ease-of-use, and ultimately user adoption continues to garner positive response in the market place, including both new and existing clients as well as the analyst community.”
* “Lessons Learned in PPM Software Implementations,” Forrester Research, Inc., February 4, 2010.
About PowerSteering Software
PowerSteering Software is the leader in On-Demand Enterprise PPM software for managing IT, New Product Development, Six Sigma and other enterprise initiatives. Its easy-to-use software provides executives at Acosta, Ingersoll Rand, Merck, United Health Group, US Department of Defense, and over 140 other customers with executive visibility, strategy alignment, and enhanced team productivity to drive strategy and accelerate results across the enterprise.