FrontPoint Security Offers Top Halloween Safety Tips
In honor of National Crime Prevention Month, FrontPoint shares tips for safe homes and families during the Halloween season.
McLean, VA (PRWEB) October 26, 2012
October is not only Crime Prevention Month, it’s also trick-or-treat time. The timing is perfect for focusing on safety – both for your own family, and for the pint-sized pirates and superheroes that will ring your doorbell on the 31st. FrontPoint is pleased to join the National Crime Prevention Council in offering some smart tips for Halloween safety. Here’s a sampling of the sound advice we’ve compiled, starting with tips for your home:
Remove obstacles from the porch and front yard that could cause a child to trip. Look for items such as garden hoses, toys, bikes and lawn decorations.
- Turn on outdoor lights. Be sure to replace burned-out bulbs.
- Sweep wet leaves away from sidewalks and steps.
- Restrain pets so they don’t get caught up in the excitement and frighten or jump on a trick-or-treater.
- Ask your Neighborhood Watch or citizens’ group to patrol the community.
- Report any suspicious activity to your local police or sheriff’s department immediately.
- If you’re leaving your house, remember to arm your home security system.
Keep in mind these additional precautions for your trick-or-treaters:
- Younger children should be accompanied by an adult, and older kids should use the buddy system. If you live in a rural area, offer all kids a ride in the car.
- Sit down with your kids to map out their trick-or-treating route ahead of time. Remind them not to take shortcuts through backyards, alleys or playing fields.
- Remind kids not to enter a strange house or car.
- Try to conduct trick-or-treating while it’s still light out. If it’s dark, make sure the children are carrying functional flashlights.
And of course, a tip for you: drive slowly throughout the trick-or-treating timeframe. You never know what creature may suddenly cross your path.
“Families put a lot of time and energy into Halloween,” said FrontPoint Co-Founder and Senior Advisor Peter Rogers. “Costumes and decorations are only part of those preparations. Since Halloween is a night-time activity, with an appeal to pranksters and other unknown entities, it makes good sense to put safety first. By planning routes and reminding kids of safety guidelines, families can help minimize the surprises. And, as always, FrontPoint is focused on both safety and knowledge for home owners, by offering a smart, wireless home security system that keeps parents and families aware, 24/7.”
This year FrontPoint is joined by a long list of organizations who want to help make Halloween safe as well as spooky. There are many credible resources online. Here is a sample of the resources available to you:
- National Crime Prevention Council
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
About FrontPoint Security
FrontPoint Security is the leading nationwide provider of interactive, wireless home security systems. FrontPoint combines next generation technology with remarkable simplicity and commitment to service, resulting in a safer and unique customer experience. With customers in all 50 states and Canada, FrontPoint Security is one of the fastest growing alarm companies in North America. FrontPoint is a GE Security Authorized Dealer and Alarm.com’s Preferred Dealer for no-hassle security solutions. For more information, please visit http://www.FrontPointSecurity.com
or call 855.296.3945.
Media contact: Cassandra Dobkins, media (at) fpssi (dot) com