MAUMEE, OH (PRWEB) October 05, 2012
When trick-or-treaters come to the front door this year, greet them with a special candy wreath for the holidays. And, once Halloween is over, change out that wreath for a decorative autumn accents wreath.
“The main entryway of the home presents an ideal location to showcase seasonal wreaths and handmade creations,” says Theresa Coleman, interior designer and host of MyFixItUpLife home improvement radio show. “Lightweight wreath decorations made from Styrofoam®, Fypon® ceiling medallions, wire or grapevines can all be hung with clear fishing wire or a wreath hanger over the entry door and easily changed out during the autumn months.”
Coleman points out that homeowners should never hammer nails into the entry door because it can damage the door and possibly void the door’s warranty. “If you have a door knocker you can hang decorations from that, or if there’s a glass doorlite in your door you can add a sturdy suction cup to hold up a lightweight wreath,” says Coleman. “You can also use a door hanger or place a tack on top of the door frame to hold fishing line, but you should never puncture the door.”
Autumn Holiday Wreath Ideas
Working with the experts at Therma-Tru Doors and Fypon, Coleman offers several unique ideas for autumn holiday wreaths that can be attached by a ribbon or door hanger to your front entry door:
1. Sour Punch® Spiral Wreath – Starting with a Fypon ceiling medallion (Atlanta style), add a standard tile adhesive to the center part of the medallion. Cut the Sour Punch orange and black candies to equal sizes and then place on the sticky areas of the medallion. Create your own pattern for the holidays. The rope-like twisted effect of the candy makes this project resemble a big, elegant lollipop when completed!
2. Autumn Accents Wreath – Purchase exterior paints in autumn color and add accent colors to a Fypon ceiling medallion. Coleman recommends shades of dark orange and yellow painted on an elegant Belmont style medallion, then hanging it as a stand-out feature on an entryway.
3. Candy Corn Wreath – Purchase a Styrofoam ring at a craft store. Using a hot glue gun, attach candy corn in a circular design around the ring, covering all visible areas.
4. Spider Invasion Wreath – To set the spooky mood for Halloween, create a spider wreath on a Fypon ceiling medallion (Atlanta style). Simply paint the inside ring of the medallion a deep orange of exterior paint (and mix in some glow-in-the-dark paint for added fun!), then glue on individual black plastic spiders that can be purchased at any craft or seasonal store.
5. Your Yard Wreath – Purchase a grapevine wreath at a craft store and then head out to your yard to collect accent decorations. Look for colorful autumn leaves, acorns, pinecones and straw grass. Add in some Indian corn cob husks for color and you’ve got the perfect wreath to complement your home.
6. Creepy Peepers Eyeball Candy Wreath – Purchase a grapevine wreath at a craft store and several dozen Creepy Peepers Eyeball candy pieces. Stick pieces of wire through the back of each wrapped candy and then twist the wire to various points of the wreath. The finished product will resemble a mass of creepy eyes staring out at your guests!
Autumn Doorway Accessories:
Once you’ve created a stand-out wreath for your door, consider accenting the entire door surround for the seasonal holidays.
1. Halloween Lights – Added around the door frame can provide a decorative glow to your home and extra light for when trick-or-treaters come to call. Always make sure to follow safety instructions provided by the manufacturer.
2. Corn Husks - Tall corn husks can “frame” your door with seasonal appeal by standing them up against either side of your door and adding pumpkins at the base.
3. Spooky Welcome Mat – Look in specialty stores for welcome mats that offer spooky sounds or flashing lights when you step on them … and for autumn-themed mats for once Halloween is past.
4. Autumn Garland – Visit a craft store and purchase garland for the autumn featuring colored leaves, pumpkins, acorns, etc. Drape the garland around the door frame to enhance the overall entryway.
5. Pumpkin Piles – Head to the farm and purchase a wide assortment of pumpkins and a few bales of hay. Stack the hay bales next to the front entryway with pumpkins in a variety of sizes on top of them, on the sides and “spilling out” onto the front porch area.
Fypon offers thousands of decorative millwork elements in a variety of architectural styles to enhance the interior and exterior of America’s homes. Each piece is crafted from tough, weather-resistant, high-performance materials that are resistant to decay, insect infestation and water damage for long-lasting beauty and low maintenance. Part of consumer products company Fortune Brands Home & Security (NYSE: FBHS), Fypon, LLC is owned by Therma-Tru Corp. For additional information, call 800-446-3040 or visit http://www.fypon.com.
STYROFOAM is a registered trademark of Dow Chemical Company and SOUR PUNCH is a registered trademark of American Licorice Co.
PICTURES: For images of the Fypon ceiling medallions decorated, contact Kathy Ziprik at 828-890-8065 or email@example.com.