I thought it was important for students to be given a real world scenario in which to utilize what they have been taught about corporate finance and marketing.
Westminster, Md. (PRWEB) October 08, 2012
Students teams from Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa., Howard University in Washington, D.C., Juniata College in Huntingdon, Pa., Morgan State University in Baltimore, Towson University in Towson, Md., and McDaniel College in Westminster, Md., participate in the second annual student finance case competition at McDaniel College.
The competition takes place Wednesday, October 10, 9:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., at McDaniel College, 2 College Hill, Westminster, Md. (see full schedule below).
The Gill/McDaniel College Finance Case Competition gives finance, economic, and accounting students the opportunity to compete for the chance to win a $500 cash prize ($300 for second place and $200 for third place). Students present their solution to a Harvard Business Case, including an analysis of market conditions and cash flow projections, to a team of judges made up of business professionals who are also McDaniel alumni. Judges are:
- Kenneth R. Gill, founder and chairman of Gill Group, Inc., an international foodservice equipment and supplies contractor ranked among the largest in the country, and managing member of Deer Valley Corporate Center in Severna Park, Md. Gill is a 1961 graduate and a member of the board of trustees at McDaniel.
- Ryan John, vice president of marketing and information technology, Alban Tractor Co., Inc., Baltimore. He is a 1997 alumnus.
- Lori Miller, internal auditor at T. Rowe Price, Owings Mills, Md. She is a 1988 alumna.
- Donald Rembert, CFP®, AIF®, principal of Rembert Pendleton Jackson, Falls Church, Va. He is a 1961 graduate and a member of the board of trustees at McDaniel.
- Russell J. Weber, CFP®, senior vice president of investments, UBS, Hunt Valley, Md. Weber is a 1993alumnus.
- Steven A. West, CFP®, senior vice president, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, Bethesda, Md. West is a 1996 alumnus.
The Gill/McDaniel College Finance Case Competition provides college students a real world scenario and experience presenting in front of a mock board of directors.
Organized by McDaniel’s department of economics and business administration, funding is provided by the Gill Fund established through donations from McDaniel alumnus and trustee Kenneth R. Gill.
Julie Routzhan, economics and business administration professor at McDaniel, said, "I thought it was important for students to be given a real world scenario in which to utilize what they have been taught about corporate finance and marketing. It is good for all students taking business courses, not just business majors."
Full Schedule for Gill/McDaniel College Finance Case Competition:
- 9:15 a.m. – Opening Program
- 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. – First three teams present to judges
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Group Lunch
- 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. – Final three teams present to judges
- 2:30 – 3 p.m. – Judges meet
- 3 – 3:30 p.m. – Awards presentation
# # #
McDaniel College, recognized nationally among 40 Colleges that Change Lives and U.S. News top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 70 undergraduate programs of study, including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs. Its hallmark faculty-student collaborations in research, teaching and mentoring plus hundreds of leadership and service opportunities enrich a lively learning experience that is rooted in a personalized interdisciplinary and global curriculum. Innovative January courses take students to points all over the world while McDaniel’s degree-granting European campus offers a unique opportunity for international study at the only American university in Budapest, Hungary. A diverse and close-knit community of 1,600 undergraduates and 1,560 part-time graduate students, McDaniel also boasts a spectacular 160-acre hilltop campus in Westminster, Md., an hour or less from Baltimore, D.C., the Chesapeake Bay, an Amtrak station and BWI international airport.