San Diego, CA (PRWEB) October 09, 2012
Ever wanted to feel like royalty? Follow in the footsteps of Queen Elizabeth I and adopt a guinea pig! Queen Elizabeth I of England was among the first European guinea pig owners and owned many of these creatures throughout her lifetime. On October 13 – 14, 2012 from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m., Petco™ is hosting its monthly “Meet the Critters” event. The interactive event will focus on educating guests about guinea pigs and why they can be great pets for families and children.
During the two-day, family-friendly “Meet the Critters” event, attendees can interact with these pets, as well as learn proper care information from one of Petco’s trained staff members. In addition, certain stores will feature additional activities such as meet and greets, beauty contests, and fun, interactive pet-centric games. The free, monthly educational event allows guests of all ages to enjoy these hands-on activities while learning important information about responsible pet ownership.
Here are some fun facts that guests can learn at the “Meet the Critters” event:
- Guinea pigs love to be pet and fall asleep in their owner’s lap.
- Female guinea pigs are known as sows, while males are called boars. Additionally, young ones are not referred to as piglets, but pups.
- Guinea pigs have poor eye sight, but fine hearing and well-developed senses of smell and touch. They communicate primarily by scent and sounds.
- Despite its common and scientific name, the guinea pig is in no way closely related to pigs. In fact, a guinea pig is classified as a rodent.
- Guinea pigs’ teeth constantly grow, so it is important to choose an appropriate chew toy to keep teeth properly worn down.
- Guinea pigs are social creatures that need daily quality time and interaction with their human family, so the “Meet the Critters” event is a great opportunity to find out if a guinea pig will be the perfect pet for your family.
For families ready to resemble royalty, more information can be found at http://www.petco.com or visit a local Petco store in October.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,150 stores nationwide, including more than 50 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and http://www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $100 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 8,000 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.