Concepts NREC improves the user experience with AEDS 2012 release.
White River Junction, VT (PRWEB) November 15, 2012
Concepts NREC (CN), a world leader in turbomachinery design and development, providing engineering services, advanced CAE/CAM software, manufacturing services, and turbomachinery education programs, today announced the 2012 version of Agile Engineering Design System® (AEDS). The world renowned turbomachinery design software includes new and improved features and functionality to reduce design cycle time and costs while still yielding high quality parts for turbochargers, compressors, turbines, and pumps.
For the 2012 version of AEDS, Concepts NREC has concentrated its software development efforts on improving the user experience by making interfaces more intuitive and expanding the software’s design capabilities. AEDS 2012 users can solve design challenges in the context of a wider variety of disciplines with the help of the following major overall enhancements:
- Advanced optimization techniques significantly expanded across the entire design process, enabling users to explore a greater array of potential design geometries while yielding higher performance levels via full Multidisciplinary Optimization (MDO) and Multiple Operating Points (MOP) strategies in conjunction with several third-party optimization codes, including IOSO Technology™, Isight™, and recently added interfaces with ModeFRONTIER®.
- Extended parallelization capabilities for CFD to leverage distributed (or network) PC systems or cloud computing solutions to accommodate the significant increase in the volume calculations required for effective use of optimization methods without increasing design cycle times.
- New and improved capabilities to control compressor and turbine blade section models (including both direct and normalized curvature distributions), enabling customers to reach more efficient blade section and blade row designs via manual or optimization methods
- Improved features to create and test flank-milled geometries compatible with CAM products for accelerated and accurate manufacture of turbomachinery parts
- An increased variety of cases and more samples of different machine types used across many different industries (including large steam turbines) have been added, along with a modified case naming convention allowing users to identify relevant case types at a glance.
Concepts NREC has also enhanced specific elements within AEDS 2012 to enable customers to even more effectively, accurately, and easily design a wide variety of turbomachinery systems and components, including:
o TurboMatch™ can now be used to design turboexpanders and large turbochargers used in marine, locomotive, and on/off highway applications.
- Compressors (Axial and Radial)
o COMPAL® includes a new wizard for easier initial layout of multistage compressor configurations.
o AXIAL™ includes automating scripts to incrementally add stages in multiple stage geometry.
o Pushbutton FEA™ users now have the option for round leading edges on compressor impellers with splitters; improved leading edge defaults automatically generate better meshes in the leading edge.
- Turbines (Axial and Radial)
o The Cooled Turbine Airfoil Agile Design System (CTAADS™), a systematic, comprehensive, and rapid 3D modeling approach to cooling system design for cooled axial turbine vanes and blades can now model a wider range of cooling configurations.
o RITAL™ users can now model shrouded rotors for radial turbines, and an estimate of axial thrust has been added.
o AXIAL™ offers improved accuracy for leakage flow with unshrouded blades and automating scripts to design Curtis stages with partial admission.
o PUMPAL® users can now calculate the estimated pump shut-off head rise and power consumption (at zero flow); double suction pump configurations can now be handled.
CN Senior Vice President of Software and Chief Engineer Colin Osborne said, “In today’s economy, the pressure to produce the utmost in performance is unrelenting, yet budgets are limited and speed to market is ever more critical. Turbomachinery development is no different. Our customers rely on our software to design new and improved products to remain competitive in a global marketplace. As such, we continually develop our software to reduce design cycle time and cost while also raising the bar on quality. We are excited to see our software in use for many important projects covering diverse applications, especially in the realm of renewable energy, power generation, and turbocharging, and we look forward to continually working with customers to innovate in these areas.”
About Concepts NREC
Concepts NREC is a leading worldwide organization providing turbomachinery design, engineering services, manufacturing, and CAE/CAM software, with a staff of over 100 professionals at its facilities in Wilder, VT, and Chelmsford, MA. For more than half a century, Concepts NREC has provided manufacturers, users, government agencies, and the engineering community with technology tools, services, and products that have met their needs, helped achieve their goals, and aided in development and production of some of the world’s most advanced products. Concepts NREC is headquartered at 217 Billings Farm Road, White River Junction, VT, 05001-9486. Telephone: 802-296-2321. Facsimile: 802-296-2325. For more information, visit http://www.ConceptsNREC.com.
© 2012 Agile Engineering Design System is a registered trademark in the United States and in other countries. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.