Brooklyn, NY (PRWEB) November 15, 2012
Green dry cleaning experts Bridgestone Cleaners share tips on how to steam your clothes at home. The seven step process is being shared, as Bridgestone Cleaners owner Ken Kinzer says, in an effort "...to help those looking to save some money."
Mr. Kinzer outlines his process for home steaming in the shower and shares why steam is used.
"The good news is steam will relax fibers and therefore remove some wrinkles, the bad news is you must be very careful to walk the fine line between enough steam and too much steam," said Bridgestone Cleaners owner Ken Kinzer.
"We’ve all seen bathroom mirrors fog up and walls and fixtures bead with moisture after a nice, hot shower, and therein lies the danger in bathroom steaming of garments."
The 7-step procedure includes:
1. Remove any surface air borne dust, dirt or atmospheric pollutants with a lint roller. The steam is going to dilate (open up) the fibers and you do not want any particulate trapped in the fibers causing microscopic abrasion when the steam is removed and the fibers relax to their original state.
2. Be sure to hang the garment on a wooden hanger. Plastic and metal are more likely to accumulate condensation and water stain the garment.
3. Dress (smooth out) the garment to its proper ‘form’.
4. Place it AWAY from walls, doors and other surfaces that could also accumulate moisture and water stain the garment.
5. Do not run the shower so hot, or leave the garment in there so long, that condensation builds on the ceiling and drips onto the garment.
6. Do not leave it unattended. Stand by and watch, periodically tensioning and smoothing out until you are satisfied with the results.
7. Do not aim for 100% wrinkle free. Professional steaming is a combination of steam, pressure and vacuum to draw away the moisture. This DIY approach is solely reliant on atmospheric steam, and therefore will not provide the same ‘perfect’ results.
Mr. Kinzer does have one last warning before trying this at home.
"This is NOT suitable for fine knitwear, which could easily relax TOO MUCH and stretch out of shape, distort at the shoulders and [do] other undesirable things."
Bridgestone Cleaners are Brooklyn's real green dry cleaning serving brownstone Brooklyn and downtown Manhattan. Call 718-222-9958, or visit our Dumbo (109 Front Street) or Cobble Hill (175 Court Street), Brooklyn, NY locations. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.