At this point, Monster Music’s private teachers are far superior to traditional education, because they teach kids how to play the songs they want to learn. In today’s society, why expect kids to put so much effort into something they don’t like?
Perth, Western Australia (PRWEB) November 19, 2012
In a controversial blog post, Monster Music proprietor Danny Achurch compiled information from government surveys about participation in music, and made a very compelling case that favours private lessons over public school music programs when it comes to keeping students interested enough in music to continue playing during the years they are most likely to quit.
The information came from a series of surveys from a government website called “Artfacts.” In one survey, almost every Australian who answered agreed that playing an instrument is positive and worthwhile. 95% agreed that music is good for a hobby, and 91% saw it as enabling a sense of accomplishment. 86% said music is fun, while 83% said that it is relaxing.
75% didn’t play an instrument but wished that they had learned how to. 49% said they would still like to learn how to play, while 26% thought they were “too old” to pick up an instrument now. Another survey showed that 20% of kids eventually learn how to play music, while 70% of adults who didn’t play said they wished they had.
Of kids who start playing in school, 30% give up at various points between Year 3 and Year 12. According to another survey, 30% stop playing by the time they are 12 years old, and 30% more stop by the time they are 15 years old. That is a total of 60% who quit before they graduate high school. Most kids who give up say it is because they lost interest.
Also, school music participation has declined steadily for the last twenty years. In 1991, 16.4% of students participated in music, and it dropped to 14.6% by 2004. An NSW survey of Year 10 enrolments counted 6,800 in 2011 after 7,300 in 2010. This means enrolments dropped 7% in one year.
Another survey said that approximately 20% of kids play an instrument outside of school, and 31% play it at least one time a week. 19% of boys play outside of school, which made playing an instrument the leading cultural activity among boys.
Danny Achurch, Proprietor of Monster Music, a network of music teachers and music lessons in Australia, suggests the poor attrition rate might point to the curriculum taught in public schools: “It’s obvious to anyone who wants to look that the school system may not be doing as good a job as they might in keeping students interested in music. There are plenty of reasons for that, but perhaps they are failing to make it fun for students to play music.”
Achurch continued, “Kids want to play songs they know; schools often teach songs they don’t know and can’t relate to. Kids want to play what they have on their iPods, but schools want them to play music that almost nobody listens to anymore.”
Achurch concluded, “At this point, Monster Music’s private teachers are far superior to traditional education, because they teach kids how to play the songs they want to learn. In today’s society, why expect kids to put so much effort into something they don’t like? The schools need to put more thought into the direction of music education.”
Monster Music is a music tuition agency and online directory with a wide network of Australia’s best music teachers. They provide guitar lessons, piano lessons, and singing lessons in Perth, Melbourne and other parts of Australia. They also provide lessons for other popular instruments.
For more information, please visit their website: http://www.monstermusic.com.au/ or call them at 08 9335 8881.