“We are thrilled to be a part of the first annual B2C study that CMI and MarketingProfs released, validating trends that we are seeing in this growing industry," said Craig Waller, Chief Marketing Officer of Pace.
Greensboro, N.C. (PRWEB) November 19, 2012
Pace sponsored a new study released this week by Content Marketing Institute (CMI) and MarketingProfs, entitled B2C Content Marketing: 2013 Benchmarks, Budgets and Trends-North America, showing that business-to-consumer (B2C) marketers are heavily using and significantly investing in content marketing, regardless of company size or industry. While CMI and MarketingProfs have conducted similar surveys of B2B marketers for three years, this is the first annual survey from the Content Marketing Institute and MarketingProfs about content marketing in the B2C space.
Top-level findings include:
- More than three in four B2C marketers are using Content Marketing: 86% of B2C respondents are investing in content marketing, and on average B2C marketers use 12 content marketing tactics in their content marketing plans.
- Total Content Marketing budgets: Nearly a third, or 28%, of B2C marketing budgets are allocated to content marketing.
- Most popular tactics: Social media (84%), Articles on website (84%) and eNewsletters (78%) are the most frequently used content marketing tactics.
- Social Channels being used: Of B2C marketers using social media, Facebook is the most commonly used platform (90%), followed by Twitter (69%) and YouTube (65%).
- Organizational goals: Customer Retention/Loyalty (77%), Customer Acquisition (75%) and Brand Awareness (74%) are the most commonly identified goals.
- Measurement Criteria: Web Traffic was identified as being the No. 1 measurement criteria for content marketing success (62%), followed by direct sales (55%) and social media sharing (52%).
- Increases over the next 12 months: 55% of marketers plan to increase their content marketing spending over the next year, with 10% stating they would significantly increase their budgets in these areas.
- Challenges: The most commonly sited challenges that B2C marketers face are: lack of budgets (52%), producing enough content (51%) and producing the kind of content that engages (49%)
“Many of these results are following the trends we are seeing with our own client base,” said Craig Waller, CMO of Pace. “We are thrilled to be a part of the first annual B2C study that CMI and MarketingProfs released, validating trends that we are seeing in this growing industry. It also gives us a baseline to assess growth and understand measurement expectations as the industry continues to evolve.”
“As we anticipated, B2C content marketing is continuing to grow at a fast pace; content is now central to consumer marketing programs. And the good news is that we've just scratched the surface on the movement into original content creation for brands,” says Joe Pulizzi, Founder of the Content Marketing Institute and co-author of Managing Content Marketing.
More than 350 B2C marketers in North America from diverse industries and a wide range of company sizes participated in the survey that was released in August 2012. The full report can be found here.
About the Content Marketing Institute
Content Marketing Institute (CMI) is the leading global content marketing education and training organization. CMI teaches enterprise brands how to attract and retain customers through compelling, multi-channel storytelling. CMI's event is the largest content marketing-focused event. CMI also produces the quarterly magazine Chief Content Officer, and provides strategic consulting and content marketing research for some of the best-known brands in the world. Get more content marketing resources at ContentMarketingInstitute.com. CMI is a division of Z Squared Media, a 2012 Inc. 500 company.
MarketingProfs is a professional development resource that offers actionable know-how designed to make you a smarter marketer. More than 423,000 MarketingProfs subscribers rely on it to stay up-to-date on the most important trends in marketing — from social media and content marketing to lead generation, email marketing, and more. MarketingProfs delivers enhanced professional development training via online seminars and short webcasts, in-depth how-to reports, research, interactive planning tools, online courses, and the premiere in-person event for B2B marketers, the B2B Forum. Subscribe to our actionable daily newsletter at Marketingprofs.com.
Pace is a custom content marketing leader, producing multi-channel content that delivers results for a diverse client base. Our staff of more than 300 professionals consistently produces award-winning work in a variety of media, including digital, mobile content, social media, magazines, catalogs, books, videos and e-commerce solutions. Pace was founded and is owned by Bonnie McElveen-Hunter, the current chair of the American Red Cross, and is based in Greensboro, N.C. For more information, please visit http://www.paceco.com, http://twitter.com/PaceComm or http://www.linkedin.com/company/pace-communications.
-# # #-