We believe that great companies are built not only with a solid founding team and innovative technology, but also with the support of investors and advisors that have deep operating experience starting and running entrepreneurial companies.
Boston, MA (PRWEB) November 20, 2012
Sigma Prime Ventures, a leading early stage technology venture capital firm, today announced that John Simon will join the firm as Managing Director. Simon has over 25 years of experience in building and co-managing venture capital firms, investing in and guiding early stage companies, and providing executive leadership to technology businesses.
Sigma Prime Ventures is a leading technology venture capital firm based on the East Coast. The Sigma Prime partners have been investing in early stage technology companies since 1984, and have consistently outperformed the market. The firm looks to provide first institutional financing to great entrepreneurs that are building disruptive companies. Sigma Prime’s team comprises repeat entrepreneurs and operating executives, which allows the firm to more effectively partner with and guide early stage companies.
“We believe that great companies are built not only with a solid founding team and innovative technology, but also with the support of investors and advisors that have deep operating experience starting and running entrepreneurial companies”, said Bob Davoli, Managing Director at Sigma Prime Ventures. “John’s background as a highly successful entrepreneur, CEO, and venture capitalist fits perfectly with our team, and we’re delighted to have him on-board.”
Before joining Sigma Prime, John Simon:
- Served as Managing Director of General Catalyst Partners, a firm he co-founded and helped build to over $2.5B under management.
- Led numerous investments in early stage companies which resulted in successful exits, including m-Qube (acquired by VeriSign), Taleo (NASDAQ: TLEO; acquired by Oracle), ProfitLogic (acquired by Oracle), Maven Networks (acquired by Yahoo!), Bullhorn (acquired by Vista Equity) and others.
- Has founded or co-founded 9 significant companies.
- Was Founder, Chairman and CEO of UroMed Corporation, a company he helped lead through IPO and subsequent merger to form Alliant Medical Technologies.
- Founded two nonprofit organizations, the Steppingstone Foundation and the GreenLight Fund.
- Has held leadership positions at various early stage companies and top venture capital firms.
- Received degrees from Harvard University and Oxford University, where he was a Rhodes Scholar.
“Having worked with the Sigma Prime team on the Board of Directors of three venture-backed companies, I understand the commitment and focus the firm has and the deep value add that it provides to early stage companies”, said John Simon. “I share that same commitment, and I’m excited about helping to grow the firm.”
About Sigma Prime Ventures
Sigma Prime Ventures is a venture capital firm that invests in early stage companies in the areas of SaaS, Cloud, Mobile, Disruptive Technologies and Technology-Enabled Services. The Partnership focuses on great entrepreneurs and works in conjunction with them to build great companies. The firm’s partners have deep operating and startup experience, collectively having founded 11 companies, provided executive leadership to 17 companies, and had exits worth over $4.2B. Since 1984, the firm’s partners have fostered the growth & exit of numerous technology companies, including Internet Security Systems (IPO), m-Qube (acquired by VeriSign), Storage Networks (IPO), Vignette (IPO), Vlingo (acquired by Nuance), Aprimo (acquired by Teradata), Initiate (acquired by IBM), Octane (acquired by e.Piphany), OpenPages (acquired by IBM), Tradex (acquired by Ariba) and others. Sigma Prime Ventures has offices in Boston and New York City, and invests across the U.S. with a focus on the East Coast. For more information, please visit http://www.sigmaprime.com