The agents of Northbrook Insurance Associates Inc. want to provide peace of mind to homeowners in Wisconsin by offering the following information about wood burning fire safety.
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin (PRWEB) November 26, 2012
As the temperatures drop with colder seasons, many families enjoy sitting by a warm fire. However, before the snow begins to fall, which may be sooner than expected, it is important to make sure chimneys, fireplaces, and wood-burning stoves are clean and ready for winter fires. This is why Northbrook Insurance Associates Inc. is teaching local residents about ways to stay safe when using their wood burning fireplaces.
The most effective type of fire to warm a home is one that is made safely and remains controlled. Residents should be enjoying the winter season and not worrying about the risks they face with their own fire place. Therefore, the agents of Northbrook Insurance Associates Inc. want to provide peace of mind to homeowners in Wisconsin by offering the following information about wood burning fire safety:
- A wood burning stove should be inspected and cleaned annually by a professional before use.
- As the holidays approach, do not hang any decorations or flammable objects at or above the fireplace.
- Inspect the area around the fireplace to make sure it is clutter free. Also consider buying a fire extinguisher in case an emergency situation occurs.
- If small children are present, think about installing a gate around the fireplace to keep them away from harm and injury.
- Only burn seasoned wood because soft, moist wood heightens creosote buildup.
- Never leave a fire unattended and always put it out before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Cracks in your chimney can lead to a dangerous carbon monoxide buildup in your home. Install working carbon monoxide detectors and have your chimney cleaned to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
If an unexpected accident or injury does occur due to a wood burning stove, residents should know they can trust Northbrook Insurance Associates Inc. for support during difficult times. These agents understand that all homeowners are not the same and face different risks on a daily basis. With the protection of Wisconsin homeowners insurance and the safety tips provided, the community can feel more comfortable about lighting a fire this winter knowing their families are safe and sound.
About Northbrook Insurance Associates Inc.:
Established in 1978, Northbrook Insurance Associates Inc. offers a wide range of insurance experience both from founders Robert Butzke and Allen Christ and the staff, many of which have worked for insurance companies therefore have extensive backgrounds in underwriting, claims and risk management. The Wisconsin-based agency’s mission statement is based on four core goals: customer satisfaction, integrity, professionalism, and stability.