Oakland, CA (PRWEB) December 12, 2012
Living with people, even for a short time can be challenging. Being a good host is easier when guests' visits are planned and organized. The visit does not need to all be on the shoulders of the host though. Here are ten tips that set both the host and guest up to have a fun and relaxing visit.
1. Communicate plans and schedule activities in advance of visits, but then be flexible. Plans are designed to change.
2. Print the agreed-upon activity agenda. If the host is expected to entertain and play tour guide to the guests, be prepared. Have some ideas for children and adults. Plan for time together and time apart.
3. If children are coming to visit, childproof the house as needed. Put away any precious items or potentially dangerous objects or substances, including medications and cleaning products.
4. Give guests local maps and information on public transportation options, restaurants, gyms, gas stations, special events and sightseeing highlights. Put all the information together in an easy-to-carry folder with the activity agenda.
5. If financially possible, suggest that the guests rent a car to reduce their dependence on the hosts.
6. Have the guest's favorite snacks and drinks in their bedroom or an easy-to-find location in the pantry or refrigeration. Provide basic toiletries in case something is forgotten.
7. For long-term guests, show them how to use the washer and dryer.
8. Invite guests to help themselves to food and drink. Leave an open shopping list for items that they want or that run low.
9. For guests who like to cook, divide the labor: guys cook one night and gals the other, or one couple cooks and the other couple cleans.
10. Have pre-planned appointments to have time alone, such as trips to the gym, walking the dog, getting a hair cut or going on a work lunch or a date with a friend. Make sure to build in some down time.
For more information about moving in and living together, go to merge2gether.com.
About merge2gether (http://www.merge2gether.com): Founded in 2011, merge2gether is headquartered in Oakland, California. merge2gether.com is an online community offering resources to guide people as they think and talk through the process of moving in with another person. merge2gether provides free information, questions-and-answers and ideas to people of all ages and at all stages of life.