This course enhances students’ Business Intelligence IQ by teaching them how to use these tools proficiently, while also minimizing the time it takes to evaluate and share important data”
Nashville, Tenn. (PRWEB) November 15, 2012
SharePoint Solutions today announced a new course called “Business Intelligence Training – the Microsoft Self-Service BI Toolset.” The course provides students with Business Intelligence training to help them analyze and share a wide array of business data in hours instead of months or years. The first Business Intelligence class will be held Jan. 22-24 in Nashville, and a second class will take place Feb. 19-21 in Chicago.
“There’s been a quantum shift in the Business Intelligence software market away from big, costly, complex and lengthy data warehouse projects toward fast and flexible self-service Business Intelligence created by business users,” said Jeff Cate, president of SharePoint Solutions and author/instructor of the course.
“Microsoft is leading the way in this transition with an integrated set of business user-oriented tools such as SharePoint, PowerPivot, Power View and SQL Report Builder. This course enhances students’ Business Intelligence IQ by teaching them how to use these tools proficiently, while also minimizing the time it takes to evaluate and share important data.”
After completing the three-day “Business Intelligence Training – the Microsoft Self-Service BI Toolset” course, Cate said students will be able to:
- Understand the benefits and differences of the Microsoft Self-Service BI approach over traditional data warehouses
- Understand the role that SharePoint plays in the Self-Service BI approach
- Design SharePoint sites, libraries and content types to support Self-Service BI applications
- Use PowerPivot for Excel to create data models for Self-Service BI applications
- Use Power View to create interactive dashboards and visualizations
- Use Report Builder 3.0 to create traditional business reports and store and manage those reports in SharePoint Document Libraries
Business Intelligence is an intermediate- to advanced-level course. It is appropriate for business and IT professionals who are capable of developing BI and reporting types of business applications using no-code, power user-oriented tools.
Students taking this course should have the following pre-requisite skill level\background:
- Six months or more experience at the "power user" level with SharePoint 2010
- One year or more experience using Excel 2010 to analyze medium- to complex-business data and familiarity and understanding of common Excel formulas and functions
- A deep enough understanding of common business needs to be able to design dashboards, charts and reports that can be consumed and understood by typical business end users
Cate noted that to use these new BI tools in production, an organization must have deployed (or be planning to deploy) the on-premises version of SharePoint 2010 Enterprise Edition and an instance of SQL Server 2012 Enterprise or Business Intelligence Edition as an add-on application server in its SharePoint 2010 farm. Previous versions of SQL Server can still be used simultaneously for storing SharePoint content.
Based in Nashville, Tenn., SharePoint Solutions is a Microsoft Certified Partner and a nationwide leader in expert-led public classes on SharePoint products and technologies. The company’s software division professionally develops high-quality commercial add-ons for SharePoint. For more information about SharePoint Solutions, visit http://sharepointsolutions.com.