(PRWEB UK) 21 January 2013
It has been reported that Khalid Khan, a private landlord, was contacted several times between November 2009 and April 2011 to produce his gas safety certificate for the home, which housed a mother and her two children. It was also revealed that the family were left without heating and hot water for a number of months. A representative from We Fix Now shares their thoughts on the matter.
“Naturally we found this story disturbing. In order for homeowners to protect themselves from experiencing problems with their gas appliances we have compiled some advice to follow.”
We Fix Now is a London-based company providing emergency electricians and plumbers in London and surrounding counties. Renowned for their fast and effective service, the firm also specialise in unblocking drains, fixing central heating and boilers and sorting problems with gas. With a strong focus on customer service, We Fix Now prides itself on providing fully qualified and experienced engineers day and night, every day of the year.