"A great team is assembled to build this world-class instrument, which includes the generous donors, architects, bell foundry, and enthusiasm of the University,” said Jim Verdin, president of The Verdin Company.
CINCINNATI, USA (PRWEB) February 12, 2013
The Verdin Company is pleased to announce that Oakland University of Rochester, Michigan has given Verdin the contract to build the carillon at the new Elliott Carillon Tower.
The carillon bell tower will feature a fully chromatic 49-bell carillon ranging from low C, which weighs around 5,000 pounds, to high C, at 24 pounds. The traditional hand-action instrument provides the complete musical range to play any musical composition. The total bell weight is over of 15 tons. Twenty five of the bells will also have the capability of being played automatically.
The new 151-foot carillon bell tower is slated to be the centerpiece for the campus. The carillon bell tower is a gift to the university from Hugh and Nancy Elliott.
“We wanted this bell tower to make a statement, and to be a focus and meeting place on the campus,” said Nancy Elliott.
Gary Russi, Oakland University president said, “This will enable Oakland University to join the ranks of prestigious universities across the globe that have honored a centuries-old tradition of a carillon tower on campus.”
Jim Verdin, Verdin president added, “A great team is assembled to build this world-class instrument, which includes the generous donors, architects, bell foundry, and enthusiasm of the University.”
Facts about The Elliot Carillon Tower:
- The largest bell weighs around 5,000 pounds and is five feet in diameter
- Total weight of all bells is over 30,000 pounds (over 15 tons)
- The carillon tower is one of the tallest bell towers on a college campus in the U.S.
- The bells, and bell and clock-related equipment will be manufactured by two world-class companies: the Royal Bellfoundry of Petit & Fritsen, Netherlands, and The Verdin Company, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- Tower designed by Niagara Murano Architects of Rochester, MI.
- Artist rendering of the proposed 49-bell Elliott Carillon Tower at Oakland University.
Verdin is America’s oldest bell and clock company and only full service bell and clock company in the world. Founded in 1842, The Verdin Company is the premier supplier of bells, carillons, clocks and towers, with over 50,000 installations worldwide. Six generations of Verdins have been dedicated to the utmost quality in their craft. The next time you hear a peal of bells, chances are those bells were installed by The Verdin Company.
For more information:
CONTACT: Bob Santoro
The Verdin Company
1-800-543-0488 ext. 1297