Privacy4Patriots Offers 10 Tips for Staying Safe While Traveling Alone
An American woman was murdered while traveling alone in Turkey last month. In response, Privacy4Patriots suggests 10 ways to stay safe while traveling alone.
Nashville, Tenn. (PRWEB) March 15, 2013
As reported by CBS News and other media outlets, a Staten Island, N.Y., woman was murdered in February 2013 while traveling alone in Turkey. The 33-year-old married mother of two was pursuing her photography career abroad.
Privacy4Patriots, the publisher of an upcoming report on how to protect one’s privacy, understands that traveling alone has its advantages, but safety concerns are greater than when traveling with a group. The company is very interested in helping people stay safe while traveling alone, especially in foreign countries.
Below are 10 tips for staying safe while traveling alone, both domestically and internationally:
Take some self-defense classes before leaving.
- Make sure that friends and/or family members have the travel itinerary, and then keep them up to date during the trip.
- Once checked into the hotel, become familiar with where the hotel exits are.
- Don’t be overheard telling anyone the room number.
- Do not dress flamboyantly, which could draw attention. Blend into the cultural surroundings as much as possible.
- Each time leaving the hotel room, leave a note describing the destination, who is being met and the expected return time.
- Stay in well-traveled and well-lit area. Ask a hotel employee about the safety of area neighborhoods.
- If the stay is for a week or more, try to make friends with the staff of a nearby coffee shop or restaurant.
- Be aware of surroundings, watching out for or pickpockets and purse snatchers.
- Learn at least a few key phrases in the local language, especially the word for “help.”
If ever traveling alone and “roughing it,” food with a long shelf life is a necessity. Some people like MRE’s (Meals Ready to Eat), but that’s not something that Privacy4Patriots recommends. Check out this blog post to learn why.