While residents cannot control the price of gas, they can take steps to reduce the total cost at the pump.
Norwalk, CT (PRWEB) March 26, 2013
Motorists have a lot of responsibilities when it comes to maintaining their vehicles. Although each chore comes with its own cost, putting gas in the tank can certainly feel like it empties out the wallet. This winter, gas prices have been unusually high. On average, motorists have paid $3.80 per gallon, according to a report from The Atlantic. That price is the highest in the past five years.
In Connecticut, there seems to be relief in sight. At the pumps as of late, the prices seem to be on the decline, reports Patch. However, the state-wide average is still nearly 4 dollars a gallon. Unfortunately, the decline could be short-lived, too. Statistics show that the price of gas tends to increase during the warmer summer months, when refiners are making a grade of gas that is more expensive. While residents cannot control the price of gas, they can take steps to reduce the total cost at the pump. The Connecticut insurance agents at James P. Murphy & Associates offer encouraging advice for car maintenance that may translate to better fuel efficiency, and in turn, savings at the pump.
In order to save money at the pump:
- Maintain the car’s filters. Running a vehicle with dirty filters will not only cause a foul odor, but also lower the gas efficiency – the mileage.
- Don’t speed. Not only can speeding result in a costly ticket and a jump in auto insurance premiums, it also uses more gas. For every 5 mph a motorist speeds less, fuel consumption can be reduced by up to 7%.
- Monitor tire pressure. Driving on deflated tires also results in lower fuel efficiency – which means using more gas and spending more money to refill the tank.
- Don’t ride the brakes. Driving with one foot constantly hovering over the brake pedal is unsafe – and causes extra fuel consumption.
- Don’t store so much junk in the trunk. The more weight the car carries, the lower the fuel efficiency will be from having to carry around the extra baggage.
Whether gas prices rise, drop, or stay the same, maintaining good driving habits is beneficial for fuel efficiency and safety on the road. Motorists in Connecticut with questions or seeking advice are encouraged to get in touch with James P. Murphy & Associates.
About James P. Murphy & Associates:
James P. Murphy & Associates has been serving the needs of businesses and residents in Connecticut, New York and New Jersey for the past 30 years. With a staff that has an average of 20 years of insurance experience, local businesses and residents can put their trust in the agency to find the right insurance for their needs… and to deliver that insurance with the highest levels of service, efficiency and professionalism. The agency’s priority is to build one-on-one relationships with customers to guarantee all of their needs are being met and the service they experience exceeds expectations.