Setauket, NY (PRWEB) April 01, 2013
On April 1, 2013, Muscular Development Magazine comments on an article published by Shape Magazine, which reveals pre-workout and post-workout foods that can help fuel your body.
According to Shape Magazine, people should eat right before and right after a workout for best results. The article says carbohydrates and protein help to keep your energy up during your workout and through the day that a “combination of slow-burning carbs, protein and a little bit of healthy fat helps to keep energy high and blood sugar levels sustained through a workout.”
The article offers several suggestions for simple, yet powerful foods to consider when choosing a pre-workout snack:
- Bananas. The high amounts of potassium in bananas prevent muscles from cramping during a workout, and will also ease soreness after an intense workout.
- Peanut butter is rich in unsaturated fats, fiber, carbohydrates and protein. All of these nutrients are necessary to give the body nourishment before a workout.
- Nuts such as almonds contain a lot of calcium needed for strong bones and protein needed to build muscle. A handful of these could be a good midday workout snack.
- Whole grain cereal. The article says a cup of whole grain cereal, like Kashi or Grape-Nuts, is a heart-healthy pre-workout snack. It fills you up and provides the body with extra carbs for power.
- Greek yogurt or milk. Both contain calcium and protein, as well as water to hydrate.
Brian Turner, a spokesperson for Muscular Development Magazine, responds to the list, saying that trainers know to avoid refined carbs as a pre-workout snack or for any part of their diet. “I would advise against some of the sugar-heavy options like cereal and bananas,” says Turner. “In addition, dairy is not the best choice for many people. You are what you eat. Your diet makes up the difference between a good workout and a great workout with excellent results.”
Muscular Development magazine offers the latest and greatest news and products to enhance your workout and maximize the fitness benefits of your routine. Visit our online store where we negotiate the lowest possible prices from manufacturers, and are proud to offer bestselling, brand-name sports nutrition products well below the suggested retail price.