Restoration Local On Dangers Of Electrical Fire Damage During Severe Weather Season

Electrical fires may be among the most dangerous types of fires in any residence or business. A fire damage restoration provider explains the danger and how to prevent it.

  • Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail a friend
Electrical fires may be caused by improper wiring, the overloading of electrical circuits like extension cords and sockets, and malfunctioning power outlets

Cleveland OH (PRWEB) April 12, 2013

Restoration Local, one of the leading providers of water and fire damage restoration in the United States, is warning property owners of the dangers of electrical fires as severe weather season 2013 gets underway. Electrical fires kill more than 300 people each year, and another 1000 are injured as a result.

Electrical fires may be caused by improper wiring, the overloading of electrical circuits like extension cords and sockets, and malfunctioning power outlets. These fires are extraordinarily dangerous because traditional extinguishing methods such as water or foam are ineffective and may actually make the situation worse. The majority of casualties are usually found in bedrooms or family rooms.

Electrical fires are also largely avoidable. Appliances and electronics should be regularly inspected for frayed wiring or worn out components. Any such items should be replaced with new components to reduce the risk of ignition. Flammable material should be kept at least three feet away from electrical connections or components.

Wiring should be in the correct configuration, avoiding overloading of extension cords or power strips. Lighting switches should be professionally checked if they are hot to the touch or if lights flicker unsteadily. Fire alarms should be inspected every so often and batteries changed on a six month schedule.

In the event of an electrical fire, water should not be used to attempt to extinguish it. Water is an excellent conductor of electricity and may actually make the fire worse. There is also the risk of serious injury. Main breakers should be shut off at the source to stop the flow of electricity fueling the fire.

Call the fire department to handle any sort of residential electrical fire, and follow up with a qualified and experienced fire damage restoration company to handle the cleanup and restoration of your property.

Based in Cleveland OH, Restoration Local is one of the leading providers of water and fire damage restoration in the country, with contractors in 30 states. They are available 24/7 and all work is guaranteed.


Contact