We encourage all travelers, from college students coming home for break to families going on vacation, to keep a close eye out for bed bugs looking for a ride home in suitcases.
Lorton, VA (PRWEB) April 22, 2013
Since making a resurgence several years ago, bed bugs have proven to be a difficult and hard to treat pest, infesting homes and hotels, retail locations and even places of employment. With Bed Bug Awareness Week April 22nd-26th, leading pest control company in Virginia, Maryland and D.C., Affordable Pest, is advising residents to be extra vigilant to help curb the spread of this blood-sucking pest.
“Recent studies have shown that travel is the top reason for the resurgence and spread of bed bugs in the area,” says Affordable Pest Founder Jason Fields. “We encourage all travelers, from college students coming home for break to families going on vacation, to keep a close eye out for bed bugs looking for a ride home in suitcases.”
Public vigilance can start with careful inspections upon check in at lodging accommodations. According to new research by the NPMA and the University of Kentucky, 75 percent of pest control professionals indicated that they have encountered infestations of bed bugs in hotels and motels in the past year. Hotels are taking a proactive stance on protecting their establishments from bed bugs with strict protocols that include routine inspections, but guests also play an important role in bringing bed bugs to management’s attention and to help limit the spread of bed bugs to other locations.
To prevent an unwanted encounter with bed bugs this summer, Affordable Pest shares the following bed bug prevention tips for travelers:
- At hotels, thoroughly inspect the entire room before unpacking, including behind the headboard and in furniture. Pull back the bed sheets and check the mattress seams and box springs for pepper-like stains that may be evidence of bed bug activity.
- If you suspect an infestation or problem, notify management and change rooms immediately. Be sure the new room is not adjacent to or directly below or above the possibly infested room.
- Keep suitcases in plastic trash bags or protective covers during a hotel stay to prevent bed bugs from nesting there. Do not put them on the beds.
- Upon returning home from a trip, inspect all suitcases and other belongings before bringing them into the house.
- Wash all clothes - even those that have not been worn - in hot water and dry them using an extra-hot dryer setting
For more information on bed bugs, please visit the Affordable Pest website at http://www.affordablepest.com or call toll free at (855) 737-8123.
For over a decade, Affordable Pest has been providing effective pest control service in Virginia, Maryland and the D.C. area. Specializing in bed bug removal, termite control, mosquito management, wildlife trapping, and a variety of other pest control services, Affordable Pest is a go-to for both residential and commercial settings. Founded by Jason Fields, the company is privately held and is headquartered in Northern Virginia.
For more information go to http://www.AffordablePest.com or call 1-855-737-8123.