Arlington, VA (PRWEB) April 28, 2013
April is Minority Health Month and what better way to celebrate than to discover new ways to improve our health. According to the U.S. Census, approximately 36 percent of the population is considered to be a racial or ethnic minority. Unfortunately, U.S. minorities are disproportionately afflicted with diseases that can be prevented through lifestyle adjustments. Below are 5 simple ways to improve the health of every American citizen, regardless of race or ethnicity.
1. Make a commitment to a healthy lifestyle. This is the first step towards improving health. The key word here is “commitment”. A lot of people talk about living a healthy lifestyle and that is all it ends up being…talk. Focus on accomplishing one goal each week towards living more healthy. By the end of the year you will have accomplished over 50 new healthy goals.
2. Drink more water. This may be the simplest dietary change that most people can make while experiencing the greatest results. Water is essential for maintaining and regulating the body’s functions. Many people rely on sodas and juices to quench their thirst, without realizing the unforeseen damage caused by excessive sugar, caffeine, and artificial ingredients. Drinking more water will improve digestion, may reduce headaches, body aches, and accelerate the removal of toxins from the body. Add fresh lemon or lime juice to water for a flavorful twist without the unhealthy ingredients. It’s a great way to cut out the added calories without eliminating great taste.
3. Take regular walks. This is one of the easiest ways to increase physical activity, especially during this time of year when the weather is nice and more comfortable. By engaging in more physical activities a person will experience the many benefits that exercise has to offer such as: increasing good cholesterol, improving mood, more energy, and better sleep. To make it more fun try teaming up with a partner who embraces living a healthy lifestyle and keep each other accountable.
4. Eat more vegetables. Vegetables are a great source of antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Increasing fiber has been shown to help maintain healthy weight, reduce the risk of certain cancers, and lower the risk of diabetes and heart disease. Many people struggle with eating more vegetables if they don’t like the taste. Vegetables can easily be made tastier by adding Flax Seasoning. Another effortless way to get more veggies into your diet is by adding a daily salad or try juicing vegetables to make a healthy drink. Juicing vegetables generally removes the fiber but will still allow the benefits of phytonutrients and antioxidants.
5. Relax. Many people are pulled in so many different directions with demands of work and family. This produces increased amounts of negative stress levels, often without noticing it. Elevated stress levels can affect sleep, mood, and energy levels and contribute towards hypertension. Make relaxation part of the day by focusing on getting adequate rest at night, finding 5 or 10 minutes to meditate, or getting a soothing massage to unwind the mind and body.
By making these 5 adjustments people can live a healthier lifestyle and avoid being burdened by preventable diseases that plague minorities and Americans in general. Healthy living is not an event or a single activity, it is a way of life that directs our choices on what we eat, drink, and think. Make the choice to live healthy today.
Flax Seasoning creates innovative seasoning blends by combining flax seeds with unique spice and herb combinations. Their products use organic ingredients, are vegan, gluten free, and non-GMO. Connect with them on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/FlaxSeasoning).