Each year, grill fires reportedly cause an average of 13 deaths, 120 injuries, and $70 million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Severna Park, MD (PRWEB) May 13, 2013
The month of May is recognized as National BBQ Month. As the weather continues to warm up in the state of Maryland, grilling and barbecuing will become more prominent. Local insurance agency, Bye Insurance Agency, encourages grillers and homeowners to practice safe barbecuing techniques to avoid liability issues and incidents.
Each year, grill fires reportedly cause an average of 13 deaths, 120 injuries, and $70 million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). To avoid the worst case scenario this season, Bye Insurance Agency asks homeowners to take note of the following safety precautions and tips:
- If grill is brand new, always read the manual.
- Be careful when choosing a place for a grill. Keep grills off decks, away from vinyl siding, shrubs, plants, and other flammable objects. Also, keep children and/or pets away while grilling.
- Keep grill clean to avoid grease build-up. This build-up can cause flare-ups (fire hazard.)
- Never leave grill unattended.
- Keep an extinguisher on hand while grilling.
- Use the right tools while grilling (long-handed tongs and spatulas must have heat resistant handle on them.)
- Never grill while intoxicated.
Grillers who follow the above tips this season may reduce the risk of a fire and/or injury this season. Besides physical precautions, homeowners are also encouraged to check-in on their coverage. For more information on homeowners insurance and/or liability coverage, Maryland residents should reach out to the local agency. Please call 888-489-3308 to learn more.
Bye Insurance Agency hopes that Maryland locals enjoy grilling and barbecuing during the month of May and the remainder of the season, the safe way!
About Bye Insurance Agency:
The mission at the Bye Insurance Agency is to bring VALUE to their clients. Their purpose is to protect the lifestyle their customers have worked so hard to achieve. As a local Severna Park, MD agency, they provide full-service risk management solutions to individuals, families, and businesses across the state of Maryland. In addition to Marylanders, they can also cater to the insurance needs of people and organizations throughout Pennsylvania, Virginia, Delaware and Washington D.C. – always keeping their best interest a top priority.