Washington, DC (PRWEB) May 14, 2013
Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS) has released findings from a detailed analysis of health insurance enrollment data published in AIS’s Directory of Health Plans: 2013. Updated annually, the new edition of AIS’s Directory of Health Plans contains enrollment data and contact information for all health plans and primary care preferred provider networks operating in the U.S. as of year-end 2012, and illustrates the growth in the number of health insurance plan enrollees along with enrollment shifts due to preparations for impending health reform-related deadlines.
The research and data tracking in AIS’s Directory of Health Plans is conducted by in-house researchers who work exclusively for AIS. By maintaining impeccable research standards and strict methodology through ten annual editions, AIS’s health plan data offers true year-over-year comparisons and extremely accurate and sensitive insight into developing trends. Analysis of the 2013 data has revealed:
- Enrollment in commercial risk-based health plans declined by more than 3% during 2012, and now represents about 33% of all insured people in the U.S.
- Within the commercial market, the group health segment declined by 4.6% while the number of people covered under individual/non-group or Medicare supplement plans increased by more than 4.5% during the year.
- Individual/non-group/Medicare supplement clients represent 9.7% of all commercial membership (risk and nonrisk).
- Medicaid HMO enrollment grew 14.5% during 2012 and Medicare Advantage plan enrollment is up 10% from a year ago.
- There are close to 8 million enrollees covered by the top 25 health plans in the individual market.
- Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) plans represent almost 3% of total covered individuals in the U.S., and 86% of FEHBP members are in a Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan.
“Due to continued growth in the public-sector markets,” Managing Editor Susan Namovicz-Peat says, “we have expanded research efforts on the numbers of individuals covered by state-level and other government health plans.” This year’s edition of the Directory also includes enrollment figures for Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plans (PCIPs), a temporary government-run program covering individuals who may potentially be shifted to state-run insurance exchanges in 2014. “This detail is beneficial to any one researching the potential impact of health reform mandates on enrollment,” Namovicz-Peat explains.
The data in AIS’s Directory of Health Plans, on which these analyses are based, is available for purchase. Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/aiss-directory-health-plans to view sample pages and a complete list of data fields on this thorough and definitive tool to calculate health plan market share.
About Atlantic Information Services
Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS) is a publishing and information company that has been serving the health care industry for more than 25 years. It develops highly targeted news, data and strategic information for managers in hospitals, health plans, medical group practices, pharmaceutical companies and other health care organizations. AIS products include print and electronic newsletters, websites, looseleafs, books, strategic reports, databases, webinars, and conferences. Learn more at http://AISHealth.com.