Bolton, UK (PRWEB UK) 21 June 2013
It has been stated by the BBC that around four people admitted to the undisclosed ward in Lightburn Hospital, have tested positive for the group A strand of streptococcal infection over the last few weeks, as confirmed by the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Hospital Trust (1).
BBC reports say that three of the sufferers of the hospital acquired infection, only presented with mild symptoms, and were responding to the treatment well; which then sparked an investigation into the overall care of the patients (1).
Speaking on the outbreak, Asons Executive Suzanne Yates said:
“Hospital borne infections shouldn’t be a presiding issue in this day and age. There are simple hygiene measures than can be taken in order to stop these from developing and the hospital should have no reasonable excuse for allowing this to happen. I sincerely hope that the hospital take serious action to prevent this outbreak from spreading any further.”
According to the news report by The BBC, it was found that the fourth documented case of the streptococcal infection was a patient that had contracted the disease whilst being treated for a serious health condition in the same ward, however died shortly after (1). According to a spokeswoman for the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Trust, although the infection added to the cause of death, it could not be ruled as the sole contributing factor. (1)
The health board’s infection control doctor who heads the department for infection outbreak control said to The BBC:
"We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family of the patient who has sadly passed away.
"As soon as we became aware of an increased number of cases the ward was closed and a range of additional infection control measures were put in place to limit any spread of infection.
"All patients affected are being nursed in isolation and have been put on a course of medication to treat the infection.
"Group A strep is a bacterium that is commonly found on the skin or in the nose and throat. Often people can have group A strep without even knowing it or suffering from any ill-effects. Because of this we have swabbed all patients and no more have been found to have the infection."
It is now alleged that the ward has stopped admitting any further patients and contamination control procedures are already taking place within the hospital ward (1).
Continuing to comment on the events, Suzanne Yates said:
“It’s good to see that the hospital is stopping new patients from entering the ward, however this situation was avoidable. Should the hospital have followed protocol in the first instance, this outbreak could have been prevented and the individual involved may not have died so quickly. If the hospital is to blame, I suggest the family involved contact a Solicitor that deals with this kind of medical negligence”
Contracting an infection during a stay in hospital such as Group A streptococcus, can be the result of medical negligence, as the hospital may have failed to provide patients with a hygienic and safe environment; potentially putting their lives at risk. Anyone that has suffered with this type of infection should contact a specialist solicitors such as Asons to see if there is eligibility to make a hospital acquired infection compensation claim. For more information, visit http://www.asons.co.uk or phone 01204 521 133 to speak to a member of their team.
(1) BBC News, Lightburn Hospital ward closed after bug outbreak, 17 June 2013
About Asons Solicitors:
Asons Solicitors is a Bolton-based law practice that specialises in personal injury and industrial disease claims. Founded by brothers Imran Akram and Kamran Akram, Asons Solicitors has developed to become a young and dynamic law firm that delivers practical solutions to clients in times of difficulty. Their continued focus on their staff has seen them awarded with the Investors in People “Gold Award”; which is reflected in the professional and personable approach they take in working with clients. They strive to grow and to develop, and their supportiveness and attention to detail ensures that their clients use them time and again.
For further information contact: