Networking the old-fashioned way is certainly valuable to travel nurses looking for new assignments, but don't neglect the online persona.
Omaha, NE (PRWEB) May 07, 2013
In recognition of National Nurses Week, Aureus Medical Group (web: aureusmedical.com), a nationwide leader in healthcare staffing, offers career insight and resume tips for travel nursing professionals. National Nurses Week is celebrated annually, May 6-12.
When it comes to the search for the ideal travel nursing jobs, even the most skilled and experienced travel nurses have their work cut out for them in today's economy. Following are some guidelines for travel RNs to follow to ensure their resumes pack a punch and remain at the top of the pile of potential travel nursing candidates.
- Don't overlook the small details: For travel nurses, available vacancies are typically either posted directly by employers or positions are advertised through a travel nursing agency. If the job posting includes the name of the individual who is handling the hiring for the position, address the specific person rather than use a generic "Dear Sir or Madam”. Small things such as this can demonstrate attention to detail, something many nursing managers look for in applicants.
- Be honest about skills: Routinely applying for jobs without the qualifications to back it up may not only waste a recruiter’s time, it may send a negative message about following instructions. Be honest and stick to applying for assignments that match skills and seniority.
- Network like it’s a job: Networking and maintaining an extensive list of contacts is one of the most frequently overlooked ways for travel nurses to find new opportunities and land assignments. Even if a former manager isn’t able to directly connect a travel nurse with a new position, a solid reference is almost as good. When on the job, be as friendly and polite to coworkers and managers as with patients.
- Maintain a strong digital presence: Networking the old-fashioned way is certainly valuable to travel nurses looking for new assignments, but don’t neglect the online persona. Professional networking sites such as LinkedIn are veritable gold mines of new opportunities for travel nursing jobs. The more current the profile, including new skills and responsibilities following each completed assignment, the better. Many recruiters use LinkedIn extensively to identify hot new travel nursing prospects. Be sure to reach out to current and former coworkers, managers, and administrative professionals and add as contacts. They may be able to help with landing the next assignment.
- Be confident: Above all else, skilled healthcare professionals are in demand. Nurses have never been in greater demand and those who can get the job done will always be a valuable commodity in any hospital, health center or private clinic.
About Aureus Medical Group:
Aureus Medical Group is a national leader in healthcare staffing specializing in the successful placement of Nursing, Advanced Practice, Cardiopulmonary, Diagnostic Imaging, Medical Laboratory, Neurodiagnostics, Radiation Oncology, and Rehabilitation Therapy professionals, as well as Physicians, in hospitals and medical facilities nationwide. With more than 25 years of experience, Aureus Medical offers a full range of staffing options, including national contract (travel), local contract, and direct hire. Aureus Medical is the largest affiliate of Omaha-based C&A Industries, a leading provider of human capital management solutions for more than 40 years.