Des Moines, IA (PRWEB) February 12, 2013
Valentine’s Day may not be the most beloved holiday if you’re a diabetic. Not unlike Halloween, the annual celebration of love focuses its attention on chocolates and other sweets. To help diabetics get through February 14th unscathed, consider these tips from Mom’s Meals:
1. Have a romantic dinner at home. No need to go out when you can cook a romantic dinner for two at home. Cooking at home will not only save you money and calories, it also gives you complete control over the ingredients in what you prepare, so that you know exactly what you’re getting in terms of carbs. Delivery services like Mom's Meals offer diabetic-friendly meals shipped right to your door, with all nutritional information right on the package.
2. Be selective about menu items. If you do go out to dinner, make sure to look for items on the menu that are diabetic friendly. When ordering, choose items listed as grilled, broiled, roasted, or steamed rather than breaded or fried.
3. Go sugar-free. If you already have an abundance of “sweetness” in your relationship, make this year a sugar-free day. If you have to go the chocolate route, choose sugar free chocolates, or dark or bittersweet chocolate, which can have less sugar than milk chocolate.
“You do not have to skip holiday traditions, just make wiser choices,” says Elizabeth Elliott, Registered Dietitian for Mom’s Meals, “Purchase chocolate in small amounts, and get items you really enjoy eating. A treat every once in a while is fine, and its best to eat a small amount of what you really appreciate, rather than binging on subpar treats.”
4. Have your dessert, and eat it too, but choose low fat, low sugar options. “Everyone needs dessert on special days, and Valentine’s Day is no different. Treat yourself to fresh fruit, fat-free or low fat yogurt or frozen yogurt, or fruit sorbets,“ suggests Elliot.
5. A rose is a rose is a rose. Why not choose a Valentine’s gift that isn’t a food item? Roses, the perfect handwritten note, or a “coupon” good for a walk on the beach or a hike in the woods may be just the right gift to show someone you love just how much you really care.
Mom’s Meals is dedicated to providing fresh-made, nutritious, home meal delivery to customers nationwide, specializing in senior and patient care for over a dozen years. The company prepares, packages, and ships ready-to-heat and eat meals directly to a customer’s door, delivered anywhere in the United States.