(Vocus/PRWEB) November 15, 2010
The term cellulite describes the combined fat accumulation, skin looseness, water retention, connective tissue deformity, inflammation, and toxin infiltration found on the superficial tissues of the female thighs and hips. Cellulite is caused mainly by lifestyle factors, with heredity playing a smaller role. Cellulite is impossible to develop if a completely healthy lifestyle is followed - admittedly a tall order in today’s artificial world. However, any step towards an ideal healthy lifestyle does help towards cellulite reduction and prevention, and here cellulite guru Georgios Tzenichristos is presenting 20 such steps towards a smoother, more toned, slimmer body by Christmas. 20 days before Christmas Georgios will present another 20 cellulite-busting tips.
Georgios has specialised in cellulite reduction for the last 10 years and has helped more than 1,000 women reduce their cellulite in that period of time. Georgios and his assistant offer a personalised boutique service from his cellulite clinic in Knightsbridge, London, catering for a demanding, largely international clientele.
1. Practise interval running. Interval running is more fun and much more effective than continuous running, helping boost your metabolism in addition to burning calories fats and providing mechanical stimulation to your cellulite tissues. For a low impact interval-type exercise, opt for spinning classes at the gym or cycling at variable speed in the park.
2. Sugar is the number one cause of cellulite today, causing fat accumulation, skin ageing and inflammation. Avoid all types of sugary foods, including those containing fructose, glucose, high fructose corn syrup, maltose, dextrose, honey, brown sugar etc. There is simply no such thing as “good sugar”.
3. Eat plenty of oily fish, such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, halibut or trout. Highly unsaturated omega-3 fat found in oily fish has been proven by multiple studies to help reduce body fat in humans.
4. Hormonal contraception (pill, patches, coil etc.) is a leading cause of cellulite. Opt for other contraception methods that do not cause cellulite, such as the diaphragm or condoms, or at least talk with your doctor about low estrogen pill alternatives.
5. Forget all sweeteners such as sucralose, aspartame and stevia. Your body is not fooled by sweeteners and using non-calorific sweeteners perpetuates your cravings for sweet food. Instead, it is preferable to detoxify yourself from the sweet taste altogether.
6. Do squats and lunges on a vibration platform twice a week. Vibration provides valuable mechanical stimulation that helps keep your collagen cells productive. Do not do any other exercise on the vibration platform though, as these exercises are either ineffective or dangerous for the joints.
7. Replace sweet, fattening fruits, such as bananas, grapes, pineapples, mangos and dates, with berries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries etc. Berries contain an abundance of flavonoids that support your connective tissue and contain very few calories.
8. Try to walk to and from work, at least partially, especially if your work requires you to sit in front of the computer all day. Inactivity is a major cause of cellulite.
9. Avoid fruit juices, as well as carrot and beetroot juice, which supply the body with too quickly assimilated calories. Opt for whole fruits instead - or at least fresh, home-made thick smoothies that are digested more slowly. Vegetable juices are great, however whole vegetables are still preferable as they provide you with much needed fibre.
10. If you like swimming, try to swim fast for a whole hour, 2-3 times a week. Fast swimming micro-massages your thighs and hips, in addition to burning fat.
11.Do not eat any carbs or sweets up to two hours exercise, as this increases insulin levels and blocks fat release from muscles during exercise. The best time to eat carbs is immediately after exercise.
12. Massage your thighs and bum for ten minutes every day. A simple kneading action is all that is needed, as long as it is vigorous. Only use a small amount of cream or oil for better grip. Do not bother with body brushing, which contrary to popular belief is largely ineffective.
13. Remove bread, jacket potatoes and white rice from your diet for the next 40 days. White rice, jacket potatoes and almost all types of bread (including almost all types of brown bread) behave like sugar in your body. This is because they contain high glycaemic index carbs that, unless you exercise, will go straight into your bum.
14. Learn to love hot and cold showers. Contrast showers are rejuvenating and immediately boost circulation and lymph drainage. After 4-5 hot-cold cycles finish with luke warm water ad apply a good anti-cellulite cream for best results.
15. Eat carbohydrates only immediately after one hour of vigorous exercise. This is the only time carbs will end up in your muscles, instead of your bum. The best types of carbs to eat are brown rice, pasta, hard-boiled potatoes and german “pumpernickel” bread.
16. Cut down on smoking. Smoking impairs circulation and damages your connective tissue.
17. If you really, really need to have a piece of chocolate, the best time to have it is within thirty minutes after exercise or five minutes before exercise.
18. Replace normal salt with low sodium/high potassium salt, which can now be found in all supermarkets. Sodium causes water retention, while potassium is a known diuretic.
19. Dancing is a great way to tone your body and spend calories. Take up dancing classes and when you go out make sure you dance the night away - instead of just drinking, smoking and talking.
20. Do not waste your money on old-fashioned manual lymphatic drainage massages that only provide temporary relief from water retention. Opt of vigorous, cellulite-specific lymphatic stimulation massages instead, that provide long-term results, in addition to working on the connective tissue and adipose tissue of the cellulite layer.
LipoTherapeia.com contains an abundance of free information on everything regarding cellulite. Readers can even ask their own question which is answered within 72 hours. Assistance on articles regarding cellulite, skin firming and water retention is always available to bloggers and journalists.