Through ‘The Whole Enchihuahua’ campaign and our month-long promotion of free spay and neuter procedures, we are raising awareness of the importance of responsible pet guardianship.
San Francisco, CA (Vocus/PRWEB) April 22, 2011
The San Francisco SPCA has announced that it will offer free spay and neuter procedures for Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes for the entire month of May in an effort to curb overpopulation and abandonment of these adorable dogs.
To kick-off the month-long campaign, the SF SPCA is hosting, “The Whole Enchihuahua,” for dogs of all breeds and sizes at Dolores Park on Sunday, May 1 from 1 to 4 pm. The SF SPCA will also continue the “Small Dog. Big Heart” campaign in May, which reduces the dog adoption fee to $100 for dogs under 20 pounds.
“Chihuahuas, unfortunately, are often victims of their own cuteness, leading many to buy a dog before they’re necessarily ready to commit to proper animal care and training throughout the life of their pet, so the animals end up in shelters,” said Dr. Jennifer Scarlett, DVM and Co-President of the SF SPCA. “Through ‘The Whole Enchihuahua’ campaign and our month-long promotion of free spay and neuter procedures, we are raising awareness of the importance of responsible pet guardianship.”
“The Whole Enchihuahua” event will feature a number of fun activities, including:
- A runway costume contest for dogs of all breeds and sizes from 2 to 3 pm. Participants will compete for prizes that include two round trip tickets on Virgin America, a two night stay at the Hotel Monaco and two tickets to Grub Crawl. Registration for the contest will occur at Dolores Park on the day of the event.
- $100 adoption fee special for dogs 20 lbs and under for dogs adopted from the SF SPCA. Along with a new best friend, each adoption includes a certificate for a Chipotle burrito.
- Additional dog adoptions from partner pet rescue organizations, including Animal Care and Control, Family Dog Rescue and Muttville.
- “Ask A Vet” session with Dr. Jeannette Goh, DVM and Director of the SF SPCA Spay/Neuter Clinic.
- Dog training advice from pet behavior expert Amy Kott.
- Delicious food from Off The Grid trucks and live mariachi music by Trio sol de America.
- A trivia prize wheel, face painting and much more.
The Chihuahua Meetup group of San Francisco will also participate in the event.
The Whole Enchihuahua is made possible thanks to the support of the following sponsors: 7x7, Off The Grid, San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department, Virgin America, BMW, KOIT, Kimpton Hotels, Grub Crawl, Chipotle and Trio Sol de America.
For more information about “The Whole Enchihuahua” and the month-long May promotion, visit sfspca.org/thewholeenchihuahua.
About San Francisco SPCA
The San Francisco SPCA is a community-supported, non-profit animal welfare organization dedicated to saving, protecting and providing immediate care for cats and dogs who are homeless, ill or in need of an advocate. The SF SPCA also works long-term to educate the community, reduce the number of unwanted kittens and puppies through spaying and neutering, and improve the quality of life for animals and their human companions. For more information, visit sfspca.org.
To volunteer with the SF SPCA, sign up online at sfspca.org/support/volunteer or please contact SF SPCA Volunteer Services at 415.554.3087for more information. To donate to the SF SPCA, visit sfspca.org/support/donate or call 415.554.3029.