Philadephia, PA (PRWEB) April 03, 2013
It is common for many people to be attached to a laptop at nearly all times. Laptops often contain important work information, valuable identity-related information and personal items such as photos and videos. The loss of a laptop can be a very upsetting time, but unfortunately, laptop theft is incredibly common throughout the world. Many people take great precautions with home security, even installing the best home security system, but often neglect to take the same steps to protect laptops. Theft occurs in a variety of situations, from muggings, to travel and even during home break-ins, but there are steps a laptop owner can take to avoid becoming the victim of a laptop theft.
The security team at SecuritySystemReviews.com, a website providing reviews of security systems, including cellular security systems companies and the best DIY security system companies, created a list of tips for laptop owners. While a theft may not be 100% avoidable, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk.
1. When transporting a laptop, don’t use a laptop or computer bag. This draws attention to the fact that a person has a laptop. It’s best to instead store a laptop in a backpack, briefcase or purse, if possible.
2. Consider investing in security devices and programs specifically for laptops. For people that travel with a laptop on a regular basis, it may be a good idea to use a laptop security cable to attach the computer to a heavy piece of furniture when it’s left in a hotel room. There are also a number of security programs that can be installed on a computer that will track the location of the laptop if it’s stolen. In addition, these programs also have the capability to remotely store or erase data and lock the computer. This type of software would be especially valuable for someone who has a great deal of work or personal information stored on a laptop. It’s never a good idea to leave a laptop unattended in a hotel room unless it is securely locked.
3. Never put a laptop on the floor. When traveling or out and about with a laptop, it often ends up on the floor, for various reasons, but this is an easy way for the computer to get lost or stolen.
4. If there is a lot of important or valuable information on a computer, it’s a good idea to install encryption software, which in the event of a theft will keep the thief from being able to access the data and information.
5. Never leave a laptop in a visible area of a car. This is one of the most common ways for a laptop to be stolen. Even if the computer is hidden in a bag, it’s best to put it out of sight altogether, in the trunk or under the seat.
6. Just as there are alarm systems for homes, there are also alarm systems for laptops. A laptop alarm is usually about the size of a credit card and can be attached to a USB port, so that if a laptop is moved an alarm will sound.
About the Company
SecuritySystemReviews.com is a website featuring comprehensive and unbiased reviews of security systems and security equipment. In addition to reviews and comparisons the site also offers consumers pricing information and security system coupons.