Anti-Phishing Working Group Reports Data-Stealing Malware Growth Reaches All-Time High in 2011
American National Bank Warns Consumers About E-mail Phishing Scams
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (PRWEB) December 28, 2011
American National Bank is warning consumers not to fall victim to phishing scams. Phishing is a new twist on an old telemarketing scam, but uses e-mail. These criminals send e-mails to millions of people hoping that even a few will give away valuable information.
“Consumer education is a powerful weapon in the fight against phishing,” says Richard Kalin, American National Bank Electronic Banking Manager. “These criminals steal the identity of a trusted company and often threaten the consumer with dire consequences if they do not act immediately.”
To avoid becoming the victim of a phishing scam, American National Bank offers the following tips:
- Never give out your personal or financial information in response to an unsolicited phone call, fax or email, no matter how official it may seem.
- Do not respond to email that may warn of dire consequences unless you validate your information immediately. Contact the company to confirm the email's validity using a telephone number or Web address you know to be genuine.
- Check your credit card and bank account statements regularly and look for unauthorized transactions, even small ones. Some thieves hope small transactions will go unnoticed. Report discrepancies immediately.
- When submitting financial information online, look for the padlock or key icon at the bottom of your Internet browser. Most secure Internet addresses, though not all, use "https".
- Report suspicious activity to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, a partnership between the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center.
- If you have responded to an email, contact your bank immediately so they can protect your account and your identity.
For more information on phishing, visit the following: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Anti-Phishing Working Group, or visit the American National Bank website for more information.
About American National Bank
American National Bank is South Florida's premier community bank. With over $200 million in assets, ANB has been serving small business owners, doctors, lawyers, accountants, and other professionals since 1985.