Charlestown, RI (PRWEB) March 20, 2013
There's snow on the ground and it's below freezing but it is the first day of Spring and Royal Flush Havanese has some safety tips on how to protect your dog as warm weather approaches and outdoor activities increase.
1. There are still a lot of chemicals that have been dropped on the streets to keep them from icing so clean your dogs paws with a wet cloth after going for a walk until you're sure enough Spring rain has washed away those remnants of winter. Likewise, when the temperature gets warmer protect his feet from getting scorched on hot surfaces like asphalt.
2. If you've been using a winter coat or sweater on your dog it's time to lighten up. Dogs can overheat quickly. Take his clothing off as soon as he goes inside.
3. Don't shave long haired dogs for the summer. Their coats protect them from the sun's damaging rays. Leave enough length so you can't see his skin. Dog's can get sunburn just like people. If your dog has had surgery or has hot spots where there is hair missing and he is going to be out in the sun for long periods of time, either use sunscreen for babies or tie a tee shirt on him to protect his skin. If he has a light nose he is more prone to sunburn just like light skinned people so rub a little baby sunscreen on his nose and if he spends a lot of time on his back in the sun, rub it on his entire underside. Do not ever use a sunscreen with zinc oxide because it is toxic to dogs.
4. Dogs can have allergies to pollen, dust and mold just like humans do. They can have seasonal allergies too. Your dog may have symptoms like coughing, itching, sneezing and changes in his coat. Never give human medicine to dogs unless under the direction of your Vet. There are canine allergy medicines that are very effective. We, at Royal Flush Havanese, aim to prevent allergies by giving our dogs NuVet supplements daily. It boosts the immune system, nourishes skin and coats, helps prevent tear staining, allergies, hot spots and a variety of health issues that can be very detrimental to your dog.
5. Many plants and mulch that attract dogs are also toxic to them. Check out the list of toxic plants, indoor hazard, etc. on Royal Flush Havanese's Puppy Care Page. If your lawn is treated with chemicals don't let your dog on the nice lawn. Pick a spot that hasn't been treated. Fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides, etc are often toxic to your dog.
6. BBQ pits and gas grills can cause burns to your dog even after they have been extinguished. Take care to teach him to keep his distance from these hazards.
7. If your dog is out boating with the family he should always wear a life vest even if he is a great swimmer. If he is accidentally knocked overboard he could get into a bad situation quickly. Better to be safe than sorry.
8. All dogs are not great swimmers. Stay close to your dog at the ocean and fresh water. Ocean dangers include undertow, jellyfish and dehydration if he ingests too much salt water. Seek medical attention if vomiting and diarrhea occur. Dogs can get heat stroke too. In lakes, ponds and rivers, dangers to your dog include parasites and bacteria that are present in the water. Always keep plenty of fresh water available for your dog especially by the shore.
Common sense and supervision will help keep your dog safe as the warmer weather approaches.
Royal Flush Havanese is committed to educating dog owners on how to keep their pets safe and healthy. They are the only dog breeder in Rhode Island to be accredited by the Better Business Bureau because they support the principles of the BBB which include ethical business practices, honesty, integrity, reliability and trust. Royal Flush Havanese boasts and A+ rating. Holly Mastroianni, owner of Royal Flush Havanese is available 365 days a year to answer questions from new puppy owners and offer her support and guidance to insure the best experience possible. Royal Flush Havanese's mission is to produce gorgeous, healthy, sociable, smart Havanese puppies for deserving, discerning dog lovers. The havanese are hypoallergenic and non shedding small dogs that are wonderful with children and make excellent family companions. View hundreds of Havanese puppy pictures on Royal Flush Havanese's Facebook page where you're guaranteed to leave with a smile. $1 will be donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for every Like to their Facebook page.