Washington, D.C. (PRWEB) December 12, 2012
The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Ready.Save.Grow. campaign today named the Four Grand Prize winners of its nationwide “Save Out Loud” Photo and Video Contest. Contest winners were selected from a number of photo and video essays submitted by students in grades K-12. Starting this week, Treasurer of the United States Rosie Rios will pay a virtual video visit to the winners’ schools to recognize their achievements and talk about the importance of teaching kids about money.
“I am so impressed with the enthusiasm and dedication our nation’s students have demonstrated for saving – the stories they shared were truly inspiring,” said Treasurer Rios. “Learning the value of saving at an early age is important, and I commend these students for setting savings goals and having a plan in place to achieve them. I also want to thank the educators, parents and mentors who have taken the time to teach and model good savings habits for our youth.”
Grand Prize Winners of the “Save Out Loud” Contest can be viewed on the Ready.Save.Grow. website and include:
- Grades K – 6: Christopher P., Milwaukee, Wis., “Big Time Saver”
- Grades 7 – 12: Kolt V., Dathan H., Austin J., Colin F., Prague, Okla., “Snuggies for Sandy Victims”
- Grades K – 6: Jeremy K., Durham, N.C., “Saving for Art School”
- Grades 7 – 12: Michelle G., Millstone Township, N.J., for “Saving for Security”
Contest entries were judged for their originality, creativity, emotional impact and support of the concept of saving. Grand Prize Winners were selected by a panel of distinguished judges, including Treasurer of the United States Rosie Rios; Bureau of the Public Debt Commissioner Van Zeck; Beth Kobliner, personal finance commentator and journalist; David Mancl, Jump$tart Coalition and Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions; and Nan Morrison, Council for Economic Education.
The contest also recognized four Popular Vote Winners who received the most public votes during the contest. Popular Vote Winners include:
- Grades K – 6: Madison G., Woodridge, Va., “Pennies from Heaven: My College Fund One Penny at a Time”
- Grades 7 – 12: Maddy U., Canfield, Ohio, “Savings Are Magical”
- Grades K – 6: Cassie M., Pearland, Texas, “Cassie Saves Out Loud”
- Grades 7 – 12: Destiny D., Carley G., Alexa C., Jeffrey H., Prague, Okla., “Lillanna’s College Fund”
All contest winners will receive official commemorative prizes from the Treasury Department. To view all eight winning “Save Out Loud” Contest entries, go to the Treasury Department’s Ready.Save.Grow. website.
TreasuryDirect is a registered mark of the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
Ready.Save.Grow. is a service mark of the U.S. Department of the Treasury.