Too many coats of paint will eventually crack subsequent coats because of a lack of durability in the existing foundation.
Lindenhurst, NY (PRWEB) October 29, 2012
The floor sealant solutions experts at Worldwide Industrial Enterprises, suggest their top tips for getting a concrete surface ready for any surface treatment. Weather and temperature conditions permitting, users should be aware of the condition the concrete is in before they begin applying treatments to it. These clearly laid out steps will help the finished product look great and last longer.
Too many coats of paint will eventually crack subsequent coats because of a lack of durability in the existing foundation. Old paint can be removed using a paint stripper, sanding, a wire brush, sand blasting or bead blasting.
For previously coated concrete surfaces:
- Remove any paint that is not in good condition. Remove any existing paint that is peeling, cracking, flaking blistering or calking heavily.
- Scrub the surface clean, removing any dirt or grease using hot water and tri sodium phosphate (TSP) powder solution.
- Thoroughly rinse off all cleaning products with clean water or poor paint bonding will result.
- Make sure the surface is completely dry.
- Existing paint that is in good condition can be cleaned and lightly sanded to ensure good adhesion.
For unpainted or bare concrete surfaces:
- All patched and bare surfaces should be acid-etched with 20% to 25% muriatic acid and a water solution mix.
- Next, flush the surface with clean water. This step is extremely important as acid needs to be neutralized and removed. If necessary, scrub the surface as clean as possible.
- Remove any dirt or grease using hot water and tri sodium phosphate (TSP) powder solution.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Make sure the surface is thoroughly dry before applying new paint.
About Worldwide Industrial Enterprises, Inc.
Worldwide Industrial Enterprises is an accredited commercial and residential paint company that provides floor care solutions that change the way surfaces are protected, sealed and repaired. Worldwide Industrial Enterprises provides the best level of services and outstanding products. As a proud member of The Better Business Bureau and used by thousands of customers, their coating materials are trusted to provide only the highest degree of quality. Environmentally safe and chemical resistant, Worldwide Industrial’s floor coating material provides the ultimate protection to concrete, metal and hardwood surfaces in a safe, easy to use one step application.