Davenport, IA - Quad Cities (PRWEB) March 12, 2012
Mel Foster Insurance, a local and independent insurance agency, announces that March 12-16 is National Flood Safety Awareness Week. This week is intended to highlight for individuals, families, businesses and communities the many ways floods can occur, the hazards associated with floods, and what you can do to save life and property.
Floods can happen at any time, and especially with the Mississippi River located right in the community. Floods can occur when too much rain falls or snow melts too quickly. There are simple steps individuals can take to reduce their risk of a flood.
Mel Foster Insurance offers these tips to prepare for a flood.
- Develop an emergency kit that has insurance documents, medications and important items in case you need to evacuate your home.
- Keep drains, gutters and downspouts clear of debris.
- Inspect sump pumps and drains regularly to ensure proper operation.
- To prevent sewage backup, have a licensed plumber install an interior or exterior backflow valve.
- Make sure your yard's grading (slope) directs water away from the home.
- If your home is located in a flood area, elevate the furnace, water heater and electrical panel.
Standard home owners insurance does not cover floods, so contact a Mel Foster Insurance agent to learn about flood insurance options or to save money on your current flood insurance.
About Mel Foster Insurance
Locally owned and operated, Mel Foster Insurance has served the property/casualty and employee benefit needs of the Quad Cities and surrounding areas since 1932. One of the region’s largest independent agencies, Mel Foster Insurance represents over 25 insurance carriers and specializes in coverage for Contractors, Bonding, Manufacturing, Property, Transportation, and Employee Benefits. Visit their website at http://www.melfosterinsurance.com for more information.