Austin, TX (PRWEB) January 09, 2013
In a society propelled by “the latest technology,” the constant development of new and fun apps for people to play with is on the rise. Because of this anyone with the skill set of writing in a computer language can create just about any type of application (app). In an article posted on InternationalBusinessTimes.com, one developer and the company in which her app is listed under are under fire for the “derogatory” nature of her app. ShinyReputation.com offers tips for businesses and owners to keep their reputation in tact should they face a similar situation in regards to their services.
A new smart phone app on Google Play known as “Make Me Asian” is causing a lot of controversy amongst the Asian-American community. The app allows users to upload their photo and add Asian features to their face. The features being used are a rice patty hat, slanted eyes, and a Fu Manchu mustache. This app is regarded by some as creating a discriminatory stereotype that should have died out years ago. A Korean-American pastor in Washington, D.C. says he wasn’t as offended by the existence of the app but rather the fact that a major website such Google allowed and is still allowing this app to remain on its Google Play website. Because of this a petition was started on Change.org in order to have this app removed from the Google site.
Shiny Reputation believes businesses should take immediate action when a serious issue such as possible discrimination might be taking place right under their noses.
For those businesses looking to avoid problematic issues SR shared these tips:
-Refrain from posting discriminatory or remotely hurtful ads or products on the business’ website.
- If a problem does arise, in regards to a derogatory comment or product, conduct a professional investigation to fix the issue to show consumers that the business takes all issues seriously.
- Be sure, however, that the business is not impeding on Freedom of Speech.
- Should the business have a website, make sure to monitor your network of production servers to ensure and end-user’s experience is a good one.
- If a problem arises in the business’ server, use a server monitoring services to scan for the specific problems, in order to fix them as quickly as possible.
- Pay attention to the type of recognition, whether it is positive or negative, a business is receiving on a social media sites and/or review sites.
-If a negative comment or review is posted, be sure to investigate the cause, to possibly better the situation with the consumer.
InternationalBusinessTimes.com is an online global business newspaper distributed in ten different countries and published in seven different languages. The site was launched in 2005 and has since been ranked as the sixth-most visited website amongst business newspapers.
ShinyReputation.com commented today on an article by InternationalBusinessTimes.com about the way perception can cause businesses to lose or damage their reputations.
About Shiny Reputation:
ShinyReputation.com is a website dedicated to providing up to date tips to help businesses create a better reputation for themselves.