Corning, NY (Vocus) March 25, 2010
Finger Lakes Wine Country has become internationally recognized for its world-class Rieslings because of its unique climate and terroir. To celebrate this success, Finger Lakes Wine Country Tourism Marketing Association is hosting Riesling Month throughout May. Enjoy unique wine tasting experiences, tours with leading winemakers, special Riesling promotions at restaurants and wine bars, and affordable accommodation packages. Travel along the Riesling Road, a special itinerary that includes the Riesling producing wineries, local restaurants, and featured attractions. For complete information on why Riesling Rocks in Finger Lakes Wine Country visit http://www.RieslingRocks.com or http://www.Facebook.com/RieslingRocks.
Featured Riesling Month Events
- The Seneca Lake Wine Trail will again offer its hugely popular, Riesling to Visit Passport, featuring free flights of wine at participating Seneca Lake Wine Trail wineries. The passport, valid through August 31, is available for purchase at http://www.SenecaLakeWine.com at the end of April for $12, plus tax.
- Heron Hill Winery will host a five-course Riesling pairing dinner at the Lento Restaurant in Rochester, N.Y. with its winemaker, Bernard Cannac on Thursday, May 13. Each dish is specifically crafted to pair with each Riesling. Tickets are $65 per person and for reservations call 585-271-3470.
- Fox Run Vineyards, located on Seneca Lake, will host a special five vintage vertical Fox Run Riesling tasting with winemaker, Peter Bell at the N.Y. Wine and Culinary Center on Saturday, May 15 at 4 p.m.. Rieslings from the 2001-2006 vintages will be poured. Tickets are $40 per person and can be purchased by calling 585-394-7070.
- Hermann J. Wiemer, located on Seneca Lake, will host a special wine tasting experience with winemaker, Fred Merwath, on Saturday, May 15 at 4 p.m. The wines poured, which all received 90 or higher scores from Wine Spectator magazine, are some of the mostly highly regarded wines in the world. Tickets are $80 per person and can be purchased by calling the winery at 800-371-7971.
- Lucas Vineyards, located on Cayuga Lake, will host a special two flight vertical Riesling tasting featuring Lucas Dry and Semi-dry Rieslings from the 2001-2009 vintages on Saturday May 22 at 6:30 p.m. with winemaker Jeff Houck. Tickets are $30 per person or $50 per couple and include light hors d’oeuvres and a take-home signature Finger Lakes Riedel Riesling glass. Tickets are available for purchase at 607-532-4825.
- Dr. Konstantin Frank’s Vinifera Wine Cellars, located on Keuka Lake and one of the world’s leading Riesling producers, will host a special older vintage vertical tasting event on Sunday, May 23 at 3 p.m. with wines from their extensive Riesling library. A limited number of tickets are available at 800-320-0735 for $30 per person or $50 per couple.
- GlassFest 2010 held over Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-30, in the Gaffer District of Corning, N.Y., will feature live glass-blowing seminars and neon glass exhibits. In addition, attend a special wine and food tasting event on Friday, May 28 featuring Finger Lakes Rieslings and local breweries. http://www.GlassFest.org
Featured Riesling Month Overnight Packages
- Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars is offering an overnight package with a complimentary bottle of Glenora Lake Series Riesling, cheese board in your room, complimentary wine tastings at the winery, a Cellar tour, a Riesling Reception from 3-6 p.m., and a $130 gift card to use at Veraisons Restaurant. Reservations can be made by calling 800-243-5513. (Package not available May 21-22, May 29-30.)
- Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel is offering an overnight package that includes two nights of accommodations, a bottle of Finger Lakes Riesling upon arrival, and two “Riesling to Visit” passports. Reservations can be made by calling 607-535-6116. (Package not available May 28-29.)
- Holiday Inn Express is offering an overnight stay, a taste of Finger Lakes Riesling upon arrival, breakfast, two “Riesling to Visit” passports, and a $30 voucher to Tanino Ristorante Italiano. This package is valid May 1-August 31. Reservations can be made by calling 607-739-3681.
- Best Western Vineyard Inn & Suites is offering with any Sunday-Thursday night stay in May, two complimentary “Riesling to Visit” passports. Call 800-823-0612 for reservations.
Finger Lakes Wine Country, New York is one of the most affordable and beautiful wine country destinations in North America with over 100 wineries and more than 400 unique things to do including The Corning Museum of Glass, Mark Twain Study at Elmira College, and Watkins Glen State Park. For more information visit http://www.FingerLakesWineCountry.com or http://www.Facebook.com/FingerLakesWineCountry. The newly released Finger Lakes Wine Country Travel App is available in the Apple Store and on http://www.flwc.mobi.