Washington, DC (PRWEB) January 25, 2012
Today, PG Builders and Potomac Services and Roofing Systems, a roofing contractors serving the greater DC metropolitan region, launched a series of guidelines to help homeowners better understand the risks and recommendations associated with leaking roofs.
Listed are some common problems that can lead to leaking roofs and how to think about addressing them.
1. Snow and ice can be a real problem during the winter months. Icicles look beautiful hanging from the side of your roof but they can cause roof leaks, not to mention hazards. Snow and ice can put an enormous amount of weight and pressure on your roof. Frozen water can cause an ice dam, thick ridges of solid ice that build up along an eave. This blockage traps melting snow around the low edge of the roof, which leads to a backup of water that seeps under shingles or slate.
2. Gutters could need to be cleaned, repaired or replaced. Cleaning gutters can be done by homeowners. However, gutter and downspout repair or replacement should be left to professionals.
3. Poor construction or materials. Unfortunately, in order to save time or meet a deadline, contractors will sometimes resort to using poor quality materials or neglect to thoroughly check seals, eaves and flashing on the roof.
4. Aging most residential roofs have a lifespan of 25 years. Some newer roofs can last up to 50 years, but they don’t last forever. It is good to find out the age of your roof.
5. Seals around chimneys, vents, fans and the skylights should be checked on a regular basis. Exposure to wind and rain often can cause sealants to crack, allowing water to seep into your home.
Scheduling a regular roof servicing should keep your roof at top performance and your family dry. For residents in the DC metropolitan region, you can contact PG Builders and Potomac Services and Roofing Systems by calling (301) 356-3297 or by visiting them on the web at: http://www.pgbuildersinc.com.
About PG Builders and Potomac Services and Roofing Systems
PG Builders, Inc. and Potomac Services and Roofing Systems has been serving the Washington DC metropolitan area, Maryland, and Virginia since the 1980s. They are a family-owned and operated custom full-service remodeling contractor which means they can take care of all your home improvement needs under one roof! Call for a free, no obligation estimate today.