Columbus, OH (Vocus) November 15, 2010
Safelite AutoGlass® – the nation’s leading provider of vehicle glass repair and replacement services – is a company with an environmental sustainability policy to increase internal efficiency by reducing solid waste and wasted energy and to act as the industry leader for “green” in the US market. As such, the company celebrates “America Recycles Day” on November 15, the only nationally recognized day dedicated to encouraging Americans to recycle and a great time to think about purchasing products made with recycled materials.
“We recognize that our activities inevitably have an impact upon the environment, both locally and globally. We believe that reducing our environmental ‘footprint’ is not only vital to the continued success and quality of our business and the service we provide, but that we also have a social responsibility to care for and protect the environment for our generations and those of the future,” said Safelite® president and CEO Tom Feeney.
Safelite’s commitment to recycling includes:
Traditional Recycling Program: Paper, corrugate, and aluminum/plastic are also recycled at Safelite® locations, just under 15,000 pounds per year.
E-Waste Program – Safelite® partners with Redemtech to recycle and re-use computers, phones and similar technology, keeping them out of the landfill. Approximately 300 phones each month are recycled. As of October 2010, Redemtech has processed almost 6,000 assets for Safelite®. That is the equivalent of:
- Produced energy savings equal to powering 1,026 houses for a year
- A greenhouse gas reduction equivalent to removing 106 cars from the road for a year
- Reduced hazardous waste equal to the weight of 665 bricks
Sustainable Product Usage – Safelite® uses 100 percent recycled Greenbar paper and has recycle bins throughout its locations.
Wood Pallet Recycling – To minimize company waste going to a land fill, the wooden pallets used in glass distribution are broken down and chipped for mulch. Some is also used in a composting process. The nails in the pallets are captured during the chipping process and sold as a low end recycled metal.
Recycling is just one element of the company’s environment commitment. Safelite® intends to:
- Reduce the environmental impact of its business, thus minimizing emissions and operational waste.
- Assess in advance the environmental impacts of any significant business decision made.
- Comply with relevant environmental legislation and other appropriate environmental requirements, seeking best environmental practice where it is viable to do so.
- Be efficient with the resources used. This includes energy used in buildings and for transport, glass, consumables, water, and packaging.
- Provide the resources, training and information necessary for employees to comply with and implement this policy within their businesses.
- Work with suppliers and contractors to influence them positively in terms of our environmental policy.
About Safelite AutoGlass®
Safelite AutoGlass®, founded in 1947, is the nation’s leading provider of vehicle glass repair and replacement services, providing mobile service to more than 95 percent of the U.S. population in all 50 states. The Columbus, Ohio-based company employs nearly 10,000 people across the United States and serves 4 million customers each year through its company-owned operations. For more information, visit http://www.safelite.com.
Media Contact: Melina Metzger, Safelite® Group, 614.210.9232, melina(dot)metzger(at)safelite(dot)com