Houston, TX (Vocus) October 12, 2010
As we approach winter, this is the perfect time for consumers to start preparing their homes for colder weather. WhiteFence, the nation’s leading site to compare, connect and save on home services like natural gas service, has a list of 10 simple ways to keep warm for less this winter.
- Install a Programmable Thermostat – By constantly keeping the house at the optimal temperature throughout the day, a programmable thermostat makes sure the furnace is on only when necessary
- Adjust the Water Heater – Setting a water heater to 120 degrees can slash natural gas bills while still allowing for piping-hot showers
- Insulation Upgrades – Adding new insulation or replacing old insulation is one of the easiest ways to keep the heat inside and the cold outside
- Replace Air Filters – Blocked or worn air filters can drastically cut down on the efficiency of boilers and furnaces, so change these monthly
- Caulk and Insulate Doors and Windows – These are the most common places for cold to get in, so sealing them up can pay off big time
- Insulate Water Heaters and Pipes – Without proper insulation, heaters and pipes can easily bleed off heat and use more natural gas than is necessary
- Check Vents – Make sure vents in unused rooms are closed and that vents in other rooms are not blocked
- Install Radiant Barrier – While typically installed to keep houses cool during summer, radiant barrier also reduces heat loss through the ceiling during the cold months
- Get an Inspection – Furnaces and heaters can experience efficiency loss over time, but a professional checkup will ensure they’re running correctly
- Find a Lower Natural Gas Rate – While the tips above will cut down on the usage side of heating costs, shopping for a low natural gas rate at WhiteFence can slash the cost side
For more great energy conservation tips, consumers can check out the WhiteFence blog.
About WhiteFence: WhiteFence is a free service that helps people find the best deals on phone, Internet, television, electricity, natural gas and other home services. By simply entering a street address into the secure site, people looking to save money or start new service can find the most comprehensive list of plans available for their specific address from over 400 nationally recognized partners. As a trusted home service shopping source for 24 million people annually, WhiteFence makes it easy to establish home services directly on the site in a few simple steps.