Scientists Question Cell Phone Cancer Study

Share Article

Bernstein Liebhard LLP echoes concerns raised by scientists who dispute the findings of a recent cell phone cancer study. Critics claim that the cell phone link to cancer in children should not be dismissed.

Bernstein Liebhard LLP echoes concerns raised by the Environmental Health Trust, concluding that the findings from a July 2011 cell phone cancer study are inaccurate.* On April 5, 2012, ABC News reported that scientists from the Environmental Health Trust issued a letter stating that the results from a July 2011 cell phone cancer study published by the Journal of the National Cancer Institute are flawed. According to ABC News, Lloyd Morgan, a senior research fellow at the Environmental Health Trust and one of the authors of the letter, called the cell phone cancer study “sloppy” and said that the data “actually shows that children who used cell phones had a 115 percent increased risk of brain tumors over those who did not.” In criticizing the study, Morgan said, “There’s every indication that this study actually found that children have a doubled risk of brain cancer.” He added, “For [the researchers] to just state that we don’t think there’s a problem is, for me, quite mystifying.”

In light of this latest development, Bernstein Liebhard LLP partner, Jeffrey S. Grand, commented “What’s perhaps most concerning is that when they examined cell-phone usage records, the increased risk of brain cancer in children began to emerge after only 2.8 years of cell-phone use, which is a shorter time period than seen in previous studies.” The cell phone radiation lawyers at Bernstein Liebhard LLP are currently representing individuals who used a cell phone for significant time periods for more than seven years and developed glioma, acoustic neuroma, meningioma, or a tumor of the salivary gland.

Dissecting The Flaws Of Earlier Cell Phone Cancer Study

The study at the center of this latest controversy was conducted by researchers at the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute. Researchers found that of the children studied, 350 had been diagnosed with brain cancer and 650 were healthy. As reported by ABC News, the July 2011 cell phone cancer study concluded that a review of the data showed that there was no cell phone link to cancer in children. However, Martin Roosli, author of the cell phone cancer study, noted some limitations. In addition to conceding that a small number of children were studied, researchers stated that they could not “rule out the possibility that mobile phones confer a small increase in risk.” The July 2011 cell phone cancer study was the first to examine the link between cell phone use and the risk of brain tumors in children and adolescents. Although researchers argued “against a causal association” between cell phone use and brain tumors, many experts are not persuaded. According to ABC News, Joel Moskowitz, director of the Center for Family and Community Health at the University of California-Berkeley’s School of Public Health, believes that the current evidence showing a link between cell phone radiation and cancer is enough to take these concerns seriously. “You can’t prove that its cell phone radiation, but we certainly have a smoking gun,” Moskowitz said.        

Cell Phone Radiation Exposure Health Advisory Issued By WHO    

In May 2011, the World Health Organization (“WHO”) recognized the health effects of cell phone use and reclassified the radiation emitted by cell phones as possibly carcinogenic to humans. The WHO advisory extends to all cell phone users, not just children and adolescents.

*abcnews.go.com/Health/cellphone-child-brain-cancer-study-flawed-critics/story?id=16082731    

For more information about filing a cell phone radiation lawsuit, contact an attorney at Bernstein Liebhard LLP at (877) 779-1414 or at info(at)consumerinjurylawyers(dot)com.

About Bernstein Liebhard LLP
Bernstein Liebhard LLP is a New York-based law firm exclusively representing injured persons in complex individual and class action lawsuits nationwide since 1993, including those who have been harmed by dangerous drugs, defective medical devices and consumer products. The firm has been named by The National Law Journal to the “Plaintiffs’ Hot List,” recognizing the top plaintiffs’ firms in the country, for the past nine consecutive years. Only two firms in the country have been selected for the Hot List nine years in a row.

Bernstein Liebhard LLP
10 East 40th Street
New York, New York 10016
(877) 779-1414

ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. © 2012 Bernstein Liebhard LLP. The law firm responsible for this advertisement is Bernstein Liebhard LLP, 10 East 40th Street, New York, New York 10016, (212) 779-1414. The lawyer responsible for this advertisement in the State of Connecticut is Amy L. Abate. Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future matter.

Contact Information:
Felecia L. Stern, Esq.
Bernstein Liebhard LLP
info(at)consumerinjurylawyers(dot)com
http://www.consumerinjurylawyers.com

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Felecia L. Stern
Visit website