Brisbane, Australia (PRWEB) July 17, 2008
Writing screenplays used to be a difficult process where it was difficult to find the portion of the screenplay to edit, keeping track of the storyline could be difficult, writer's block was common, and you really couldn't "play with" the script to get it right.
These problems are a thing of the past with ScriptMapping - powerful screenwriting software built in to NovaMind mind mapping software. It allows the user to capture ideas easily during brainstorming sessions, and attach portions of the screenplay to different branches of the mind maps. The screenplay can be reorganized just by dragging the branches into different locations. Experimental screenwriting is now possible through the ability to disable the printing or export of the script on specific branches of the Mind Map. Visual storyboarding is accomplished by attaching images to the branches, or creating links to movies and other resources where required.
Many professionals in the live theater, movie and TV industries already use Mind Mapping and brainstorming techniques to generate and develop story ideas and characters, and plan, organize and manage many aspects of production. These uses are also fully supported in NovaMind with the ability to add notes to the branches, hyperlink to other documents, set start and finish dates, percentage complete, durations and allocate resources. NovaMind integrates with Merlin for project management on the Mac, and exports to MS Project for project management on Windows.
John Brownlow, writer of the movie "Sylvia" starring Gwyneth Paltrow, said:
"I just wanted to congratulate you on starting to address the need for a truly structured screenwriting program.
As a long-standing and very disillusioned user of other screenwriting applications, I am delighted to see the way NovaMind is going. I already structure all of my scripts in NovaMind and am enormously looking forward to using the app to do much more of the work on my next script"
The screenwriting functionality in the Mac version of NovaMind Platinum has been completely rewritten over the last 6 months, and now includes the following capabilities:
- Screenplay formatting to industry standards for font, margin settings, line spacing, mores, continueds, section standards and page numbering
- Fully configurable cycling through section types on return and tab keypresses
- Automatic sentence casing of dialogues and actions
- Text completions for character names, scene headings, scene location and time, character parentheticals, and transitions
- Orphan protection of dialogs so they are not split from their character names
- Work with the whole screenplay in a single view or just one branch at a time
- Both import and export to and from Movie Magic and Final Draft
- Configurable initial section type for branches
- Configurable mores and continueds for characters and scenes, including automatic character continueds and scene number continueds
- Configurable scene numbering in the margins on both sides
- Configurable indents and capitalization for sections, as well as overall page layout settings
- Global replace of character names and scene locations
- Skip directly to the next or previous branch with script attached, or just to the next or previous branch, from within the screenwriter window
- Enable or disable script on a branch either from within the screenwriter window or on the Mind Map, or from within the print or export dialogs
- Jump directly to scenes or page numbers within the screenplay either using the mouse or by command key
- Capitalize or lower case selected text
- Scale the screenplay text for easier readability
- Ability to set the scene numbering and continuations for printing independently of the editor
- Print just a single branch, a range of scenes, or a range of pages of the script
- Ability to include mind map related text (branch titles, branch notes, attached text) in the printed or exported screenplay
NovaMind has been used by some top screenwriting professionals for several years, and even with the old capabilities of the screenwriter, they have done amazing things. For example, Hector Cabello Reyes used the screenwriting capabilities of NovaMind to write the screenplay with which he won the top professional screenwriting award in Europe.
The combination of Mind Mapping and Screenwriting is a revolution in screenplay programs. It benefits the entire movie production business, allowing all the people involved to communicate better, be more flexible and creative, and produce better movies more quickly and with lower risk.
NovaMind has been the top Mind Mapping program available on Mac computers for the last 6 years, and is rapidly gaining recognition in the Windows market. NovaMind makes Mind Mapping intuitive and fun, and revolutionizes screenplay writing, idea generation, story development, and the entire writing and production workflow.
For more information about NovaMind, please visit http://www.novamind.com/ or e-mail Gideon King at gideon(at)novamind.com.