Legal experts raise significant issues with the sentencing guidelines and plea agreements that they say are unfair
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) January 7, 2008
The Full Disclosure Network® presents an exclusive five minute preview of a two-part program examining the awesome challenge faced by Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona as he begins his battle against political corruption charges in the Federal Court system. The preview is available here: http://www.fulldisclosure.net/Programs/507.php
Federal Justice experts appear in the complete two-part program that are featured on 45 cable systems and available from the links below, in their entirety, on the Internet, for a short period of time. Thereafter, Internet access will be available to Full Disclosure Network® subscribers only.
- Sheriff Mike Carona, Orange County, California
- Anthony Patchett, Former Special Assistant District Attorney (Los Angeles)
- Jan L. Handzlik, Partner of the Howery, LLP law firm & a former Federal prosecutor
- Mark H. Allenbaugh, former Staff Attorney U. S. Sentencing Guidelines Commission and partner Allenbaugh-Samini, LLP
- Leslie Dutton, FULL DISCLOSURE NETWORK® host
WATCH THE FULL SHOWS HERE NOW
Part 1 (28:30 min) http://www.fulldisclosure.net/Programs/507_full.php
Part 2 (28:30 min) http://www.fulldisclosure.net/Programs/508_full.php
Here are just few of the points made by the legal experts on the one-hour program:
- Sheriff Carona states at the outset he believes the Federal Court system is fair.
- Is the Federal system free from politics regarding who to prosecute and who not to?
- "Legal experts raise significant issues with the sentencing guidelines and plea agreements that they say are unfair"
- "Defendants who plead guilty are forced to waive their right to appeal harsh sentences"
- "Many defendants who plead innocent are found guilty of crimes not related to their indictments. i.e. (perjury, obstructing justice, etc.) ... the reason, it is too difficult for the Feds to prove their case on initial charges."
- "An astounding 95 to 97 % of all individuals Indicted plead guilty in the Federal system"
Known as THE NEWS BEHIND THE NEWS Full Disclosure Network® cable television programs are featured on 45 cable systems and the Internet since 1992 and produced by host Leslie Dutton and Producer T. J. Johnston. In 2002 the Full Disclosure® special series "L. A.'s WAR AGAINST TERRORISM was recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences with a local Emmy Award for a public affairs, informational series. Channels and air times can be found on the website at http://www.fulldisclosure.net/Channels/channelsINDEX.htm