Cleveland, OH (Vocus) May 4, 2010
Picture 2,083 football fields (including end zones). That’s the approximate equivalent in square feet* of steel protected worldwide by Sherwin-Williams' Euronavy ES301 solvent-free anticorrosive epoxy. And that figure is growing on a daily basis as Euronavy ES301 combines durability, tolerance and environmental compliance to cope with the needs of corrosion protection in a cost-effective way.
“Euronavy ES301 is one of the most innovative and versatile coating options available today in the offshore and marine markets,” said Brad Rossetto, Vice President, Marketing, Sherwin-Williams Protective & Marine Coatings. “This premier technology can be applied on damp surfaces in humid conditions with minimal surface prep. That lowers customer costs and extends the application’s lifecycle by preventing premature corrosion, regardless if it’s a maintenance and repair or new construction project.”
The coating recently received accolades from the Steel Tank Institute as its Product of the Year for 2009 for application on the Gulf of Mexico’s Thunder Horse Field Offshore drilling platform. Coating was required due to hurricane damage and the need to refurbish the top deck plate steel. Coating restrictions required painting at night, with application in a moist, humid environment that included salt spray and salt fog. Surface profiles were nearly smooth due to restrictions against abrasive blasting. Service life, even in the extreme conditions of the Gulf Coast, is expected to exceed 10 years.
Examples of several high-profile Euronavy ES301 applications include:
- Ballast tanks, bilges and other areas on U.S. Navy vessels; the only system approved for U.S. Navy ballast tanks when hydroblasting is used as surface preparation
- Refurbishment of oil rig PSS Chemul (Mobile, Ala.), plus general offshore platform and ship maintenance for PEMEX (Mexico)
- Platform, ship and equipment maintenance for Petrobras in the U.S.A., Europe, Singapore and Brazil
- Ballast and cargo tank repairs on the Transpetro (Brazil) fleet
- Hull conversion on Aker Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO)
- Refurbishment of Transocean’s Discoverer 534 and Seven Seas Drill ships and tank repair of Nordic jack up (Malaysia)
- Platform maintenance of the Alaska Star and Olinda Star oil rigs
- Critical areas of Type 209PN submarines for the Portugese Navy.
The offshore environment: Damp. Humid. Highly corrosive. The coating solution: Euronavy ES301, an innovative, premier technology that can be applied over damp surfaces, lowers surface prep costs and extends lifecycle by preventing premature corrosion. Euronavy ES301 is supported by Sherwin-Williams’ NACE-certified workforce with over 3,700 combined years of experience and is available from 4,500 company-owned distribution points worldwide.
*Calculation: An American football field, including end zones, is 120 yards long (360 feet) by 53 1/3 yards wide (160 feet).
360 ft. x 160 ft. = 57,600 square ft.
120,000,000 square ft./57,600 square ft. = 2,083.33.
Sherwin-Williams is a global protective and marine coatings company that delivers smarter asset protection and unmatched service and specification support to its customers from more than 4,500 locations worldwide. The company offers a complete line of time-tested, high performance coatings and systems to combat corrosion, supported by the largest group of NACE-certified coatings inspectors in the industry. With more than 140 years in business and a culture of product innovation, Sherwin-Williams today is the single source of supply for coatings solutions made to your specifications and delivered on time, every time.
Editor Contact: Allen Pfenninger, 216-781-2400, apfenninger(at)edwardhoward(dot)com, or Megan Grote, 937-228-1141, mgrote(at)edwardhoward(dot)com.
Customer Contact: 1-800-524-5979