Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) April 13, 2011
ecotechdesign, in collaboration with its design/build subsidiary ecotechbuild, is proud to announce the completion of the first permitted shipping container house in the Mojave Desert near Joshua Tree, CA. The hybrid house, known as The Tim Palen Studio at Shadow Mountain is the prototype of a 2nd generation pre-fab design for a residence and workplace developed by ecotechbuild. This kit-like housing product is being offered for the first time to homeowners who want more than what is currently available with pre-fab and manufactured housing, even custom construction.
Some of its unique features include:
- hybrid house design: based on the efficient Prius automobile engineering concept, the hybrid house concept combines diverse pre-engineered building and energy conservation features to maximize efficiency and cost savings, while offering architectural design flexibility and variation.
- all steel construction: an integrated, steel framing system provides extraordinary strength, earthquake, fire and wind protection, as well as large window and door openings to maximize natural daylighting, ventilation and evaporative cooling.
- solar home shading system: a bolt-on, adjustable steel frame and shade system creates 50% solar heat, glare and wind reduction on the building and solar breezeway that allows for plug-in attachment of future solar electric and water heating panel arrays.
- living roof: movable, bolt-on module add-ons use greywater irrigation and are planted with native desert plants and sedums to absorb heat, glare, dust and CO2.
- water conservation: integrated greywater, water harvesting and storage systems.
- finished construction costs at 50% of equivalent, locally available, prefab alternatives.
“By combining high-efficiency and mass-produced modular construction methods with innovative design in one of the harshest climate zones in North America, we have developed a low-cost, sustainable, housing system that can be transported and quickly erected anywhere in the world, ” explains Architect, Walter Scott Perry, AIA and Principal of ecotechdesign.
The hybrid house consists of cargo containers and pre-engineered steel building components that can be erected and combined together at the site, often in less than an hour.
“The typical housing project in San Bernardino County takes one to three months to go through entitlement and permitting alone,” adds Contractor, Eric Engheben “Our project was approved and permitted in just one week.”
about Walter Scott Perry (http://www.ecotechdesign.com)
Walter Scott Perry, Architect, AIA, Principal of ecotechdesign and Founder of ecotechbuild, has practiced sustainable architecture and been a leader and advocate for green design since the pioneer days of the passive solar movement in Santa Fe, NM during the early 1970’s. Projects include award-winning commercial, institutional and residential projects designed and built across the U.S. for over 4 decades. Mr. Perry’s work is recognized for the creative application of design innovation in generating practical and affordable, yet sophisticated and beautiful architecture in buildings and master planning at all scales from small residential remodel to large commercial work. He holds several degrees, including a Master’s of Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania where he studied with the late Louis Kahn.
about Eric Engheben (http://www.44west.net)
Eric Engheben, President of 44 West Construction, Inc. and a licensed General Engineer & Building Contractor with over 30 years experience, has been building green from the beginning. Recently he completed a LEED Platinum rated residence in Los Angeles and his custom homes are featured in national publications and projects awards. 44 West Construction, Inc. is a leader in construction quality, cost control, scheduling, waste management, green innovation and the integration of new technologies in all its projects. The focus is on working with client needs to realize maximum creativity and customer satisfaction. 44 West Construction has over 5 years experience in the repurpose and reconstruction of shipping container homes and is an industry leader.