Sprint recognizes that many of the creative, useful GPS tools our customers will value will come from third-party developers
Overland Park, Kan. (PRWEB) February 26, 2009
Sprint (NYSE: S) is breaking new ground in using GPS to deliver helpful tools to its wireless customers and has again been recognized for that leadership by research and consulting firm Frost & Sullivan. Sprint announced today that Frost & Sullivan has awarded the company the 2008 Award for Market Leadership in the Consumer LBS Market for its innovative open approach to developing GPS applications for mobile phones. The award is based on Sprint's wide variety of consumer GPS applications and its recent announcement that it will offer developers open access to two location aggregation platforms, allowing them to easily create location-based services for Sprint customers. Frost & Sullivan projects that the U.S. market for wireless carriers' consumer LBS applications will reach approximately $3.3 billion in annual revenues by 2013.
"Sprint recognizes that many of the creative, useful GPS tools our customers will value will come from third-party developers," said Kevin Packingham, senior vice president of product and technology development for Sprint. "That's why we have an open approach, including our open location platform introduced in late 2008, that makes it easier for developers to create and innovate. We're pleased to be recognized by Frost & Sullivan for our industry-leading portfolio of consumer GPS applications and for empowering more developers to create location-based applications for our customers."
"Sprint's tendency in the LBS sector to date has been to offer a wide array of LBS solutions to customers," said Jeanine Sterling, Industry Research Analyst, Frost & Sullivan. "Sprint's strategic decision to offer developers open access to trusted location aggregation platforms is consistent with Sprint's philosophy of encouraging and enabling application development. Frost & Sullivan applauds this move by Sprint and views it as an act of innovative leadership that will help expand and evolve the consumer LBS sector."
Sprint customers have access to a variety of location services at a great value
Sprint currently offers a wide range of location-based applications, including:
- Sprint Navigation, which provides GPS-enabled, turn-by-turn driving directions with 3D moving maps, one-click traffic rerouting and more than 10 million local listings. Sprint Navigation received a 2008 Mobility Award from Frost & Sullivan.
- Sprint Family Locator, which enables a parent to use their phone or PC to find the location of a family member, which is displayed on a map along with the address, surrounding landmarks and accuracy of the information within a specified radius. Convenient Safety Checks can be set up so parents receive automatic email or text alerts of a loved one's location at a specific time and place.
- Google Maps™ for mobile, which allows users to view maps and satellite imagery, find local businesses, get driving directions and view real-time traffic information on the go.
- Loopt, a GPS-based social mapping service that lets cell phone users share their location with friends, along with status messages and geo-tagged photos.
- Slifter, which allows Sprint customers to search and find products at nearby local retailers, see price and availability information, and get directions to the store.
- Where, an application that helps users connect with the world around them: find friends nearby, discover restaurants and events with reviews, locate cheap gas, and much more.
Sprint also offers its customers unmatched value in location-enabled applications, with unlimited use of Sprint Navigation included at no additional charge in Everything Data, Everything Data Family, Simply Everything and Simply Everything Family plans. These plans include voice, unlimited text, picture and video messaging and unlimited data at a great value. For instance, the Simply Everything Family plan saves customers $80 a month over comparable plans from AT&T and Verizon*. Sprint customers can take advantage of more value with Sprint Family Locator, available for just $5 per month, which is half the price of competitor's family locator services. Casual data usage charges apply for customers without a Sprint data plan.
Sprint's open location platform encourages developers to create location apps
In addition to the wide range of location-based services offered directly from Sprint, the company's industry-leading open approach to working with application developers encourages the creation of additional location-enabled applications from third parties. Sprint's new open location platform allows any third-party developer to use WaveMarket's Veriplace™ and uLocate's WHERE location platforms to easily create location-based services for Sprint customers. These platforms protect the privacy and security of Sprint customers and offer third-party mobile, Web, WAP, SMS and widget developers a consistent way to create cell phone applications that use the customer's location information to provide customized, permission-based information and services.
Sprint also offers developers the ability to create location-enabled applications through its Professional Developer Program (PDP). The Sprint PDP provides advanced tools for members to create, test and certify applications that customers can use on Sprint phones. The advanced capabilities include access to GPS and the application certification process.
The PDP and the open location platform provide developers straightforward tools to create and launch permission-based, location-enabled applications for Sprint customers. Sprint's objective is to simplify the certification and on-boarding processes, which can be onerous with other carriers.
Sprint's history of GPS leadership includes previous Frost & Sullivan awards
In addition to the award announced today, Sprint previously received two other Frost & Sullivan awards for 2008:
- Frost & Sullivan's 2008 Business Solutions Carrier Leadership Award in LBS for excellence in successfully deploying and delivering a comprehensive suite of LBS business solutions. Sprint offers the largest selection of GPS solutions for business. Working with a variety of partners to help customers mobilize processes and better manage workflows, Sprint enables businesses in a variety of industries to manage assets, inventory and fleets, optimize fleet routes, manage customer relationships, provide sales force and field force automation . . . all in the mobile environment.
- 2008 Mobility Award for Sprint Navigation, a service that allows customers to use their mobile phones as personal navigation devices for GPS-enabled, turn-by-turn directions. Sprint Navigation includes 3D moving maps, millions of local listings, and real-time intelligent traffic alerts with one-click rerouting.
Sprint also received the Frost & Sullivan Mobility Award for Location-based Services Company of the Year in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
Sprint has the longest history of providing location-based services in the wireless industry, beginning with the first location and mobility services in 2000; the first GPS-enabled cell phone to support E911 services in 2001; the first navigation service on wireless phones with turn-by-turn driving directions in 2003; and the first family location service in 2006. Sprint offers more than 20 consumer GPS applications, including Sprint Navigation, Sprint Family Locator, local search, real estate, shopping and fitness services.
*Savings claims based on base monthly rates for unlimited anytime minutes for two lines on Verizon Nationwide Premium Family SharePlan and AT&T Nation Talk, Text & Web family plan. Excludes taxes, Sprint surcharges, fees and premium content.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two wireless networks serving more than 49 million customers at the end of the fourth quarter 2008; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit http://www.sprint.com.
About Frost & Sullivan
Frost & Sullivan, the Growth Partnership Company, enables clients to accelerate growth and achieve best in class positions in growth, innovation and leadership. The company's Growth Partnership Service provides the CEO and the CEO's Growth Team with disciplined research and best practice models to drive the generation, evaluation and implementation of powerful growth strategies. Frost & Sullivan leverages over 45 years of experience in partnering with Global 1000 companies, emerging businesses and the investment community from 31 offices on six continents. To join our Growth Partnership, please visit http://www.frost.com.
Google Maps is a trademark of Google Inc.
Veriplace is a trademark of WaveMarket Inc.